Hufstedler School of Education Admissions
The Hufstedler School of Education is focused on admitting the best candidates for our programs to meet the demanding needs of schools and educators working with youths and adults.
- When to Apply - Priority Deadlines and Rolling Admissions
- Admission Terms by Program
- Undergraduate Admission Requirements
- Graduate Admission Requirements
- Additional Admission Requirements
When to Apply - Priority Deadlines and Rolling Admissions
Admission is granted on a priority and rolling admissions basis. Qualified applicants will continue to be accepted up until a semester's start date provided that space remains available.
However, we do encourage prospective students to apply by our priority deadlines and as early as possible to achieve the following: to secure program position and desired start date; to make sure any required testing may be completed in time; and to receive full consideration for all possible scholarships and financial aid opportunities.
|Term||Priority Deadline - Degree & Certificate Programs||Priority Deadline - Teaching Credential Programs*
||Rolling Admissions Deadline/Term Start
|Summer 2015||May 1||N/A||June 8|
|Fall 2015||April 1 (Still accepting applications)||July 9*||August 31|
|Spring 2016||November 2||TBA||January 25|
PLEASE NOTE: Available entry terms vary by program. International applicants and intern teaching candidates are encouraged to apply even earlier than these dates when possible.
*Prospective intern teachers who wish to begin an intern teaching assignment (through either our Standard Intern or Early Completion Intern Teaching paths) the same term as their entry into the program must meet the priority deadline. Applicants who fail to meet the priority deadline may be admitted to begin coursework, but will not be eligible for their intern credential until the following term (excluding Summer).
Admission Terms by Program
New students are admitted for the following terms:
Fall Term Only
- Educational Leadership and Management (EdD)
- Educational Psychology (PsyD)
- Educational Psychology in Neuropsychology (Post-graduate Certificate)
- Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential-only program in School Counseling
- Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential-only program in School Psychology
- School-Based Mental Health (Graduate Certificate)
- School Counseling (MAEd) with Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential
- School Psychology (MAEd) with Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential
Fall and Spring Terms Only
- TESOL (EdD)
- Teacher Education
- Preliminary and Clear Education Specialist Teaching Credential programs
Fall, Spring and Summer Terms
- TESOL (MAEd and Graduate Certificate programs)
- Teacher Education
- Preliminary Single or Multiple Subject Teaching Credential programs
- Online Master's in Education (MAEd) with Teaching Emphasis
Please review Alliant's academic calendar for term start dates.
Please review undergraduate admission requirements here.
- Alliant International University application
- Interview with the program director or faculty (interviews may be completed face-to-face or via phone or Internet)
- Two letters of recommendation (from supervisors, academic instructors, volunteer coordinators or other professional
and/or academic relationships)
- Resume (required only for all doctorate and all educational psychology programs)
- Personal essay
- 2-4 pages for master’s and teaching credential candidates
- 6-7 pages for doctoral candidates
- Essay should include the following: a brief autobiographical statement; professional aspirations; any professional organizations to which you belong; honors, activities, and other accomplishments; any experience in the field to which you are applying, which may include any experience in K-12 settings or higher education, teaching, or working with children and adolescents.
- Official transcript(s) from all regionally-accredited colleges and universities attended (degrees in progress are acceptable) with a minimum cumulative GPA of:
- 2.5 (undergraduate) for master's and credential programs (except for MAE in School Psychology program)
- 3.0 (graduate) for doctoral programs and all School Psychology programs
- California Basic Educational Skills Test™ (CBEST®) (required only for Preliminary
teacher credentialing programs)
- $65 application fee (not required for the Accelerated Autism Spectrum Disorders Authorization Weekend Workshop program)
- Additional Requirements for International Students
- Additional Requirements for Clear Education Specialist (Mild-Moderate) Teacher Credentialing
- Additional Requirements for Preliminary Teacher Credentialing Programs
In addition to general admission requirements, Preliminary Teacher Credentialing candidates must comply with several additional requirements mandated by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) before beginning any student or intern teaching assignment. These requirements are meant to both guarantee your own success in the classroom and students' safety. Please note that these are not requirements for admission and entry into our preliminary teaching credential programs, nor for completing classroom observations (with the exception of the Certificate of Clearance) - only to participate in the intern or student teaching portions of those programs. Please reference our teacher credentialing pages:
- Preliminary Teacher Credentialing Program (Single or Multiple Subject) - Student Teaching
- Preliminary Teacher Credentialing Program (Single or Multiple Subject) - Standard Intern Teaching
- Preliminary Teacher Credentialing Program (Single or Multiple Subject) - Early Completion Option (ECO) Intern Teaching
- Preliminary Education Specialist Teacher Credentialing Program (Mild-Moderate Disabilities)
Final Admissions Decision
Upon receipt and review of all documentation and completion of the interview, candidates will be considered for final admission. Final admissions decision will be made by the admissions committee. You may track the status of your application online using the same username and password you set when submitting your online application.