With a special education teaching certification, you’ll gain the skills needed to become a teacher within a K-12 mild/moderate disabilities instructional setting. Join this teacher preparation program to help gain the tools you need to excel as an educator.
All coursework for this Arizona State Board of Education (ASBE)-approved program is offered online, with interactive training and classroom simulations, to prepare you to lead with confidence. As part of the program, you will complete an internship and be provided with support from a university and field supervisor, who will mentor you through assessments and guide you while you learn, teach, and earn an income.
If you want to study special education teaching online and become a transformational teacher in Arizona, the online alternative teaching certificate in special education: mild/moderate disabilities could be for you. Learn about the coursework for a special education certification below.
Courses for the program are taught online, with interactive experience and video simulations. If you're ready to lead a special education classroom in Arizona, this certification is an excellent place to start.
Online special education certification programs are Arizona State Board of Education-approved and lead to an elementary and special education school teacher certification in Arizona.
Learn and Earn
As a candidate in the special education teaching certificate program, if you're enrolled as an intern, you can also keep or enter into a full-time contract with a school as the teacher of record.
All Bachelor’s Degrees Welcome
If you have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited institution, in any subject, you will fulfill this admissions requirement.
Classes Start Every Eight Weeks
You can enroll in this educator preparation program at any point in the year; qualified applicants are accepted every eight weeks.
Fast and Focused
The program typically takes 12 months for certification and an additional two terms for certification and master’s degree.
Your Path to a Master’s
In this accelerated graduate-level program, you can earn your master of arts in education (MAE) with only three additional classes.
Learn About Admissions Requirements
Get to Know Our Diverse Faculty
Links and Downloads
Frequently Asked Questions
How will this program prepare me to become a teacher?
This educator preparation program gives you an alternative pathway to teacher certification on an intern teaching certificate. The certificate program is for those who already have a bachelor's degree in any field and want to become a special education teacher in Arizona. In the program you'll explore best practices in pedagogy while gaining the skills, knowledge, and disposition that can help you confidently enter the profession through:
- Competencies that are aligned with InTASC and ISTE standards
- Support that comes through a consortium of partners that include public, charter, and private schools and other related organizations, non-profits, and agencies
- Research- and evidence-based training to meet the needs of all learners
- Development of skills that can help you make a lasting impact
- A structured English immersion model where integrated instruction incorporates English language development (ELD) standards connecting language skills and academic content
Does completion of this program help prepare me for certification as a teacher?
Yes, as a program completer, you will receive a recommendation to receive your certification. For a full list of state certification requirements, visit our Arizona Certification Requirements page.
When does the program begin?
The Arizona teacher certification program runs on eight-week terms and is open for enrollment during each of those respective enrollment periods.
What scholarship and financial aid options are available?
Private and public scholarships can help you meet the cost of your education, and Alliant offers institutional scholarships for many of our students. Learn more about these scholarship opportunities. Additional financial aid is available for those who qualify in the form of loans, grants, federal work-study, and military aid. Learn more in our Financial Options Guide.
How long does it take to complete the program?
The Arizona special education teacher certification is a 27-credit program by itself, and a 33-credit program when obtained concurrently with the MAE. When the program is followed without interruption, it can be completed in as few as six terms, with an additional two terms for the concurrent MAE.
How is this alternative pathway to a teaching certification different?
Arizona offers a variety of pathways to teaching certification; to qualify for this alternative pathway to a teaching certification, you must:
- Hold at least a bachelor’s degree
- Enroll in an Arizona State Board-approved teacher preparation program
- Complete three semester hours or 45 hours of state-approved structured English immersion training for either the provisional or full SEI endorsement
- Have passed the US/Arizona Constitution exam or test, and hold a temporary teaching intern/alternative teaching certificate
- You also must pass an Arizona Educator Proficiency Assessment in your chosen subject area and possess a verification letter from your education preparation program. Once you have met the above qualifications and have graduated from the teacher preparation program, your certification will be valid for two years and may be extended yearly for no more than two consecutive years.
- Two additional requirements may be completed within one to three years of completing your special education certificate of education certification to maintain its validity:
- A college course or the appropriate examination covering the provisions and principles of the Arizona Constitution
- A college course or the appropriate examination covering the provisions and principles of the U.S. Constitution
- This alternative pathway allows potential and future Arizona teachers to minimize the work required to turn their existing bachelor’s or higher degree into a teaching certification so that they can begin their teaching career as soon as they possibly can.
- Explore the various pathways by visiting the Arizona Department of Education’s Educator Certification webpage
Is this program taught online, on campus, or both?
All coursework for the Arizona teacher certification program can be completed online.
Start on your path to succeed on purpose
At Alliant, our mission is to prepare students for professional careers of service and leadership and to promote the discovery and application of knowledge to improve lives. We offer an education that is accredited, focused on practical knowledge and skills, connected with diverse faculty and alumni, and aimed at the student experience.
CSOE offers a variety of degrees, certificates, and credentials in education that prepare you to make a lasting difference through teaching, counseling, leadership, advocacy, administration, management, and community work. Whether you’re looking for an online degree program or an in-person learning experience for your higher education, we are here to guide you every step of the way.