The graduate programs in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) offer current and aspiring TESOL professionals the opportunity to develop language and communications abilities for people from cultures from around the world. If you desire to work in a diverse setting and enjoy helping others, a TESOL degree opens doors into a rewarding and meaningful career.
Explore our TESOL programs in San Diego or online below.
Meet the World in Your Classroom.
TESOL Degrees & Programs Overview
Hands-On Experience Degree Programs
As a TESOL professional, we will help prepare you to make a real difference in the lives of English language learners, whether you choose to teach in the U.S. or in a far corner of the world. Our TESOL programs emphasize hands-on training and equips you with the tools you need to succeed as soon as you graduate.
With a TESOL degree, you have the opportunity to teach international students all over the world and make a difference as a teacher, both in and out of the classroom. Join the English language teachers making an impact across the globe with their broad development of teaching practice and knowledge. Get started on your journey with our TESOL degree program today.
Become a Global Leader in TESOL Education
Alliant's TESOL alumni contribute to educational practice and policies in the U.S. and countries around the world in teaching the English language. Settings and roles include:
- Adult education programs
- College and university-based English as a Second Language (ESL) and English as a Foreign Language (EFL) programs
- Community colleges
- ESL and vocational English programs
- Elementary and secondary schools
- English as a Foreign Language programs
- International businesses and foundations
- Fulbright Scholar appointments
- Government offices on educational policies
- TESOL-related publishers
Global Partnerships for TESOL Education
The TESOL degree programs at Alliant have benefited from important partnerships both locally and internationally:
- University of California, San Diego Extension, Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Program
- Universities and Ministries of Education in China, Oman, Taiwan, and Vietnam
- Cisco Learning Institute and MEPI Grant, U.S. Department of State - a three-year U.S. Department of State initiative with the Kingdom of Jordan
- Alliant-UIN (Indonesia Syarif Hidayatullah State Islamic University) Initiative
- Alliant-Anaheim University Retreat and Workshop Series
- Stella Grant awarded by the U.S. Department of Education
Tips of the Trade: TESOL Classroom Aides
As a TESOL teacher, you can help students communicate, express, and advocate for themselves. TESOL English language teachers give the gift of voice, and online resources complement classroom learning. Here are some of our favorite resources for TESOL instructors.
Center for Applied Linguistics SIOP Model
The Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP) Model is a research-based instructional model that is effective in addressing the academic needs of English learners throughout the United States. With the increase in English learners throughout the United States, teachers need methods to help them succeed. The SIOP Model is aimed at improving English learners' academic performance.
TESOL International Association
This professional organization will enhance and support your development as an ESL/EFL teacher. Its annual international convention, career center, bookstore and journals, and communities of practice provide a wealth of resources to help you reach your potential after earning your Alliant degree.
Known the world over for their free online motivational talks on a variety of topics, TED Talks offer a range of creative ideas on teaching and learning from professional experts. Search through the TED Talks library using your favorite education, teaching, learning, and ESL terms and you are sure to find ideas to inspire you as an educator.