A master’s degree in this STEM field prepares you to excel in the growing technology sector as a developer, product manager, web production specialist, or in another integral role. The graduate program nurtures your critical thinking, increases data science literacy and systems analysis, encourages innovation, and opens opportunities in computer science and computer systems technologies from information analysts, programmers, software engineering, cybersecurity specialties, and others.
With your bachelor’s degree you’re already seen as someone quite knowledgeable in the field, and earning your master’s in information systems technology in California will confirm and validate that you are indeed a subject matter expert. As a graduate student, you will gain valuable skills in information science, data analytics, business intelligence, and other expertise relevant in today's dynamic and ever-changing digital landscape. This, in turn, can open doors to new, more lucrative, opportunities in your organization and push you closer to achieving your career goals.
As part of the MSIST program, you’ll have the opportunity to sharpen and exhibit your skills in our annual Hack Day team events, where you’ll be challenged to rapidly prototype, implement, and deploy innovative applications and programs. The products that you produce during the course of this hackathon can then be used to build your portfolio and illustrate your ability to work under pressure.
Which Business Program Is Right For Me?
Online or On-Campus Courses
You can earn your MSIST online from a location of your choice. You can also join us on campus in San Diego to meet and collaborate with student peers. Either way, you’ll earn a flexible and comprehensive education in this leading field.
In this master of information technology and computer information systems program, you’ll participate in an internship and practical training to develop your professional skills. These can be independent professional projects or an internship with in-depth, supervised hands-on experience with working professionals.
The honors program cohort meets once a month for a deep-dive discussion on contemporary trending industry issues, gaps, advances, and opportunities and engages in research projects designed to further the reach of their education.
Practical Training (CPT)
Practical training is part of the degree requirements and intended to develop professional and applied practice related skills and expertise in the student’s program through a variety of work and learning experiences which could involve supervised practical training and/or applied client projects. Learn More
Learn About Admissions Requirements
Get to Know Our Diverse Faculty
- Information Systems Technology and Infrastructure Management
- Data Analytics and Decision Making
- Enterprise Systems Analysis and Project Management
- Advanced Programming with Python
- Cybersecurity Technology
- Cloud Computing Concepts, Tools, and Applications
- Industry Research Project
Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Students in the MSIST ground program are required to participate in curricular practical training as part of their experiential learning throughout the program. Practical training is intended to develop professional and applied practice related skills and expertise in the student’s program through a variety of work and learning experiences which could involve supervised practical training and/or applied client projects. This is required throughout the academic program from start on Day 1 to program completion. Domestic students can contact the CSML Professional Development (CPD) Coordinator directly for guidance. International students must apply for authorization for Curricular Practical Training to the Designated School Official (DSO).
CSML CPT Application Process for International Students
- Obtain a job offer letter from your employer. The offer letter needs the following:
- To be on company letterhead
- Start and end date. (For example: CPT start date is 10/17/22, End date is 08/20/2023)
- Include specific duties to perform, office location, direct supervisor name and contact number.
- State that it is a part-time position
- Include the following statement: “employer agrees to cooperate with the school in achieving the curricular purposes of the employment/training”
- Complete the Application for CPT and the Advisor Verification Form for CPT. These forms are located on the student portal: https://alliantintluni.sharepoint.com/sites/IntlStudent/SitePages/International-Forms.aspx
- Email your offer letter and the 2 forms to your Program Director/Faculty Advisor at Alliant.
- Once they have signed the forms, please follow up and email ISSO@alliant.edu. The DSO is the one who will give you the authorization to start working.
- Also, if it is your first time in the USA, you will need to go to the Social Security Administration office to obtain a social security number, this process can take 2 or more weeks. Your employer will need your social security number for you to work. So please start the process as soon as possible. For the address of local Social Security Administration offices, see: www.ssa.gov
Learning Outcomes and Job Outlook
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of concepts and principles in information systems and technology
- Practice and apply professional IS&T knowledge and skills in the context of the workplace
- Demonstrate competency in designing, engineering, creating, implementing, maintaining, and managing an effective Information Systems and Technology infrastructure.
- Demonstrate successful and ethical management of the processes required to support the organizations’ goals and objectives.
- Demonstrate skills to work well in international and multicultural teams.
The job outlook for managers working in information systems and big data is anticipated to experience growth. A significant portion of these openings is expected as a result of the need to replace workers who transition to different professions or leave the workforce, often due to retirement or other reasons.
Links and Downloads
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of job can I expect to get with this graduate degree?
This type of education MSIS program develops your knowledge and abilities as a critical thinker, increases your data science literacy, and enables you to succeed in a variety of fields. The IT department is not the only one to critically employ these tech skills; marketing, finance, human resources, accounting, strategy, business analytics, operations are examples which all need and use the skills you’ll develop in this graduate program. With an MSIS degree, you’ll also be qualified for IT positions such as computer network architect and engineer, system analyst, computer support specialist, computer programmer, software engineer, information security analyst, cyber security specialist, and others.
What scholarship and financial aid options are available?
Private and public scholarships can help you meet the cost of your education, and Alliant offers institutional scholarships for many of our students. Learn more about these scholarship opportunities here. Additional financial aid is available for those who qualify in the form of loans, grants, federal work study, and military aid. Learn more in our Financial Options Guide.
When does the program start?
This program is offered as an eight-week term program and is open for enrollment during each of those respective enrollment periods. You can find a copy of our eight-week term academic calendar here.
When does the MSIST degree program start?
The program is offered as an eight-week term program and is open for enrollment during each of those respective enrollment periods. You can find a copy of our eight-week term academic calendar here.
How long does it take to complete the MSIST degree program?
The MS in information system technology program is 33 units and takes a minimum of 18 months to complete.
"The cultural diversity of the students and the supporting and caring professors has created the enriching educational environment which is most unique and special."
At Alliant, our mission is to prepare students for professional careers of service and leadership and to promote the discovery and application of knowledge to improve lives. We offer an education that is accredited, focused on practical knowledge and skills, connected with diverse faculty and alumni, and aimed at the student experience.
CSML is a business management school that trains you to have a competitive edge in the technology and quantitative fields. CSML offers management and leadership degrees where you can learn to guide and mentor the next generation of professionals and make your mark as an innovator in the modern business world.