Financing Your Education

Veterans and their dependents generally qualify for an array of Federal, State, Institutional and Private financing programs.

Federal Financing Programs

The U.S. Department of Education offers financial aid programs for almost everyone regardless of income.

For example, undergraduate students may qualify for the Federal Pell Grant, the Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant, the Federal Work Study Program and the Federal Direct Student Loan Program.

The Federal Direct Loan Program generally offers student loans at interest rates considerably lower than interest rates on a typical consumer credit card.

For example, effective July 1, 2012, interest rates under the Direct Loan Program for initial loans disbursed between July 1, 2012 and June 30, 2013:

  Undergraduate Students   Graduate Students
Subsidized Direct Loan 3.4% N/A
Unsubsidized Loan 6.8% 6.8%

To apply for federal financial aid, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) . The Federal School Code for Alliant International University is 011117.

We encourage you to apply for federal financing benefits annually. The application process is free and provides an opportunity for Alliant International University to determine your eligibility for an array of financing opportunities.

Public Service Loan Forgiveness and Income Based Repayment Programs

Effective July 2007, the Public Service Loan Forgiveness and Income Based Repayment Program provides information for those seeking to continue their careers in Public Service.

Income Based Repayment Plans

Income Based Repayment (IBR) is a new repayment plan for the major types of federal loans made to students. Under IBR, your required monthly payment is capped at an amount that is intended to be affordable based on your income and family size.

Transfer of Post-9/11 GI-Bill Benefits to Dependents (TEB)

A special provision of the new Post-9/11 GI Bill offers education benefits for the spouses and children of service members and veterans. Eligibility to transfer benefits is determined by the Department of Defense while the payment of benefits is handled by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Under the new law the Department of Defense is authorized to allow individuals who have served at least 6 years in the Armed Forces and who agree to serve at least another 4 years to transfer unused GI Bill entitlement to their spouse. In addition, when a service member reaches their 10-year anniversary they can choose to transfer the benefit to any dependents – spouse or children.

Eligibility for Transfers of GI-Bill Benefits to Dependents

Transfers of benefits are available for any member of the Armed Forces (active duty or Selected Reserve, officer or enlisted) on or after August 1, 2009, who is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, and:

  • Has at least 6 years of service in the Armed Forces on the date of election and agrees to serve 4 additional years in the Armed Forces from the date of election.
  • Has at least 10 years of service in the Armed Forces (active duty and/or selected reserve) on the date of election, is precluded by either standard policy (service or DoD) or statute from committing to 4 additional years, and agrees to serve for the maximum amount of time allowed by such policy or statute, or
  • Is or becomes retirement eligible during the period from August 1, 2009, through August 1, 2013. A service member is considered to be retirement eligible if he or she has completed 20 years of active duty or 20 qualifying years of reserve service.
  • For those individuals eligible for retirement on August 1, 2009, no additional service is required.
  • For those individuals who have an approved retirement date after August 1, 2009, and before July 1, 2010, no additional service is required.
  • For those individuals eligible for retirement after August 1, 2009, and before August 1, 2010, 1 year of additional service after approval of transfer is required.
  • For those individuals eligible for retirement on or after August 1, 2010, and before August 1, 2011, 2 years of additional service after approval of transfer are required.
  • For those individuals eligible for retirement on or after August 1, 2011, and before August 1, 2012, 3 years of additional service after approval of transfer required.

How to Apply for Transfers of Benefits

First you must go to the DoD transferability application website to determine if your dependents are eligible to receive the transferred benefits. This website is only available to military members.

Approved Transfers of Benefits

Upon approval, family members may apply to use transferred benefits with VA by completing VA Form 22-1990e. Do not use VA Form 22-1990e to apply for TEB.

VA Form 22-1990e should only be completed and submitted to VA by the family member after DoD has approved the request for TEB.

Electronic version of VA Form 22-1990e (VONAPP)

Download paper version of VA-Form 22-1990e – (PDF)

Health Professions Scholarship Program for Psychologists

The Air Force, Army and Navy offer the Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP). The programs generally cover 100% of a student’s graduate school tuition to become a psychologist. In addition, the programs generally offer a signing bonus plus a monthly stipend.

Students who complete the program will enter the service as an officer and receive officer’s pay and benefits. Generally students are obligated to serve at least three years.

Health Profession Scholarship Program (HPSP) – Air Force

Air Force Health Care Recruiter
11075 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90025
(310) 481-5089 ext. 105 (Office)
(310) 481-5088 (Fax)
(310) 345-6735 (Cell)

Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) – Army

  • Los Angeles: Army Health Care Recruiter, 877-721-3194
  • San Diego: Sergeant Veeren 858-495-0598

Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) – Navy

Alliant Institutional Scholarships

Military and Veterans Program (MVP) Scholarship

Designed specifically for undergraduate Veterans and their dependents, Alliant International University offers the Military and Veterans Program (MVP) scholarship. The MVP scholarship is an annual $5K tuition award for full-time undergraduate students (the award is prorated for less than full-time enrollment). Students who qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program do not qualify for the MVP Scholarship.

To promote multicultural and international competence and to support our core values of Intellectual Advancement, Diversity and Social Responsibility, Alliant International University established the Alliant Diversity Scholarship (ADS). Students of exceptional ability and promise who share Alliant’s commitment to academic excellence and intellectual advancement and who will foster an environment that promotes a diversity of viewpoints are encouraged to apply.

State Financing Programs 

California’s Operation Welcome Home ensures veterans and their dependents are aware of and participating in the full spectrum of benefits and services available to them; employment, health-care, education and housing.

California Community College Transfer Entitlement Cal Grant

  • California Community College students who meet all the Cal Grant eligibility requirements, have at least a 2.4 community college GPA, and meet the award’s additional requirements – (PDF) are guaranteed a Cal Grant to attend a four-year college.
  • To qualify, students also must have graduated from a California high school after June 30, 2000, have been a California resident at the time they graduated and be under the age of 28 as of December 31 of the year in which they first receive an award.
  • In addition, students cannot have received a Cal Grant within a year of graduating from high school.

California National Guard Education Assistance Award Program (CNG EAAP)

CNG EAAP is a state-funded program designed to provide an educational incentive to improve skills, competencies, and abilities for up to 1,000 service members who remain active in the National Guard, the State Military Reserve, or the Naval Militia. Eligibility requirements include:

  • Is an active member of, and has served two (2) years in the California National Guard, the State Military Reserve, or the Naval Militia;
  • Agrees to remain an active member in the California National Guard, the State Military Reserve, or the Naval Militia throughout the participation period in the CNG EAAP;
  • Agrees to use the award to obtain a certificate, degree, or diploma that is currently not held;
  • Has been accepted or registered at, or enrolled in, a qualifying institution;
  • Agrees to maintain enrollment in at least three (3) academic units per semester, or the equivalent, at a qualifying institution;
  • Agrees to maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) annually in a qualifying institution; and
  • Is a resident of California for at least one year immediately preceding the date of determination.

Private Sources to Finance Your Education: FinAid and FastWeb

FinAid , the Smart Student Guide to Financial Aid, was established in the fall of 1994 as a public service. This award-winning site has grown into the most comprehensive source of student financial aid information, advice and tools — on or off the web.

For nearly 15 years, Fastweb has been the leading scholarship search provider for students, whether applying to college or a mother of two returning to school.

As a scholarship matching service, Fastweb matches users to scholarships based on their qualifications, meaning students have a better chance of winning. The scholarship database contains 1.3 million scholarships worth over $3 billion in benefits. Fastweb not only finds students scholarships but also provides a plethora of information and guidance as students find their college or first job.