Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps Program Now Offered through Partnership with SDSU
Alliant International University recently entered into a Crosstown Agreement with San Diego State University (SDSU) to offer Alliant students the opportunity to participate in the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps Program (AFROTC) .
AFROTC Program Details
AFROTC is a three- or four-year program designed to equip students with leadership skills and commission officers for tomorrow’s Air Force. Required coursework includes lectures, a leadership laboratory practical component, panel discussions, dialogues, problem solving, and physical training.
Students generally enroll in two courses per semester, Leadership Lab and Aerospace Studies. Classes are held in the early morning twice a week and cost $72 per unit or generally $144.00 per semester.
- All coursework is completed at or near San Diego State University (SDSU) with the exception of a four-week summer field training program held at Maxwell Air Force in Montgomery, Alabama between the second and third years.
- The four-year program is divided into the General Military Course (first two years), and the Professional Officer Course (last two years). Credits earned in AFRTOC classes may be transferred as electives or to meet the degree requirements at Alliant.
- During the first two years, students may take classes with no military commitment, and may withdraw at any time.
- For students who stay for the third and fourth years of the program, scholarships are available for qualified cadets and may be applied towards tuition, lab fees, and other required items. Additionally, scholarship students receive a non-taxable book allowance and monthly stipend.
- Upon successful completion of the AFROTC program and all requirements for a bachelor’s degree, students are commissioned as second lieutenants and serve a minimum of four years in the active duty Air Force.
- New Student Orientation for Spring 2015 begins January 16th 2015 at SDSU.
Basic, minimum requirements for all applicants include:
- 18 years of age (14-17 with parental consent); and graduate before your 30th birthday (29 for pilots and aircrew)
- U.S. citizen (non-U.S. and dual citizen students are eligible to participate with restrictions)
- Full-time student at Alliant International University
- No history of drug use
- Pass a Physical Fitness Assessment during New Student Orientation (standards available from Military and Veterans Affairs Office in M-1)
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Have a minimum of 3 years of full-time undergraduate school remaining to complete bachelor’s degree immediately following New Student Orientation. Students may take master’s classes for half of their final two years and may be part time during their final semester
- No medically precluding conditions such as asthma after 13th birthday, eczema, or on medication for ADD within the last year
Additional information may be obtained from Tina Moncada, Director of Military Affairs in building M-1 or by contacting Captain Paul Kim, assistant professor of Aerospace Studies Recruiting Flight Commander at SDSU:
Captain Paul Kim, 619-594-5550, email@example.com, http://www.det075.com/interested/how-do-i-join/.