Open Search
Open Navigation
female student taking notes

Undergraduate Financial Aid

What you need to know about government financial aid.


Learn About State Aid Options

Cal Grants

California residents who have not earned an undergraduate degree may be eligible for a Cal Grant, a merit- and need-based state grant. There are several divisions of Cal Grants, including the High School Entitlement Award (for current high school seniors and recent high school graduates), Transfer Entitlement Award (for students who plan to transfer directly from a California community college to a four-year university) and competitive awards (for students who are not eligible for the entitlement awards). The entitlement awards come in two divisions: 

  • Cal Grant A
    This grant assists low and middle-income undergraduate students with tuition expenses. Grant recipients are selected based on grade point average and documented financial need. Cal Grant A is renewable for up to four years.
  • Cal Grant B
    This grant aids undergraduate students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds. Students receive assistance for tuition after their first year and a stipend for books and supplies starting their first year of eligibility. Cal Grant B is for a program that is only one year in length, but includes an additional annual Access Award for living expenses.

The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) determines eligibility for new recipients. The Office of Alliant Financial Aid Administration determines renewal eligibility after all FAFSA information is received, need determined, and CGPA calculated. Students notified by CSAC that they will receive a Cal Grant A and Cal Grant B and that this aid is not included in their financial aid packages should notify the Alliant Financial Aid Administration as soon as possible. Please visit for more information.

California Chafee Grant for Foster Youth

If you are a current or former foster youth in the state of California and have not yet reached your 22nd birthday, you may qualify for a California Chafee Grant for Foster Youth. This grant awards up to $5,000 a year for college, and can also be used to help pay for child care costs, rent or transportation expenses while you’re in school.


Learn About Federal Aid Options

Federal Pell Grants

This type of grant is usually awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or professional degree and have exceptional financial need, as determined by the results of the FAFSA calculation. The amount of financial aid you can receive from a Pell Grant depends on your need, whether you are a part-time or full-time student, and may vary from year to year depending on your course load. Generally, the annual award is capped and will only cover a portion of your tuition. If the Pell Grant is an option for you, keep in mind that you can only receive a Pell Grant for 12 semesters (six years).

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

The Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant provides financial aid to students whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan. This grant has the same maximum award as the Federal Pell Grant. 

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Like the federal Pell Grant, the FSEOG is for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need who are pursuing their first undergraduate degree. These grants are awarded directly through the financial aid office. If you qualify for a Federal Pell Grant, you will also qualify, and receive priority, for the FSEOG program as well. Award money generally ranges from as low as $100 to as high as $4,000. Funds for the FSEOG are limited. 

TEACH Grants

Students in teaching credential programs can apply for the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant. The TEACH Grant is available to undergraduate, post-baccalaureate and graduate students that are enrolled in programs leading to a teaching career. 

In order to qualify for the grant, students must complete Teach Grant Counseling and sign an Agreement to Serve and agree to teach for at least four academic years within eight years of completing their degree or last day of attendance, in either a high-need field or an elementary school, secondary school or educational service agency that serves low-income families. High-need fields include: bilingual education and English language acquisition, foreign language, math, reading, science and special education. 

This grant may become an unsubsidized loan if the student does not complete the necessary requirements after leaving school as indicated in the Agreement to Serve. Independent Credential students are eligible for a maximum of $12,500 unsubsidized loan per award year. Dependent Credential students may borrow a maximum of $7,500. The lifetime maximum an independent credential student may borrow is $57,500, including all previously borrowed loans.  Dependent credential students may borrow a maximum of $31,000.

William D. Ford Federal (Direct Loan) Program

The following information pertains to the William D. Ford Federal (Direct Loan) Program. If you are eligible for a Federal Direct Loan, you must complete a copy of your current Financial Aid Award indicating how much you wish to borrow. If you are a first-time borrower, you must complete and submit a Master Promissory Note electronically. All students are required to complete the Entrance Counseling for their first loan at Alliant International University. 

All student borrowers will be using Direct Loan as their lender which includes subsidized and unsubsidized loans, and PLUS loans.

Federal Subsidized Direct Loan 

Undergraduate students with financial need enrolled at least half-time may be eligible for a subsidized loan. Interest on this loan begins to accrue at the time of the start of repayment. Repayment will begin six months after graduation or when a student drops below half-time enrollment. The interest rate for this loan as of July 2023 was 5.50%. An origination fee of 1.057% will be taken from the disbursement prior to receipt by the school.

Eligibility for federal subsidized direct loans is based on financial need (demonstrated via the FAFSA or Renewal Form). Students who do not demonstrate (sufficient) need may borrow Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loans. Maximum loan eligibility is indicated on each student’s financial aid award letter. When students are eligible for a subsidized loan, the government pays the interest that accrues on the loan while in school.

Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loan

Students receiving an unsubsidized loan are charged the interest on the loan while in school, in grace period and in deferment. Interest on these loans begins accruing 60 days after disbursal of the loan. Although interest is charged on the loan disbursement, a student does not need to start repayment until six months after graduation, or when dropping below half-time enrollment. The interest rate for this loan as of July 2023 should be 5.50% for undergraduate students. An origination fee of 1.057% will be taken from the disbursement prior to receipt by the school.

Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

The PLUS loan is available to parents of undergraduate students who are dependent, based on the FAFSA definition. Regardless of whether the student lives with the parent or is supported by them, your parents can take out a loan to pay for your education. A small credit review will be required. Students may also nominate an eligible endorser. Parents can borrow up to the total cost of the education (minus other aid). The interest rate was 8.05% as of July 2023. An origination fee of 4.228% will be taken from the disbursement prior to receipt by the school. 

The Federal Direct PLUS may be used to replace the expected parent and/or student contribution to supplement the total financial aid package up to the amount of the budget.

Federal Work Study (FWS) Program

Federal Work Study is an employment program largely funded by the federal government and supplemented by employer contributions. The goals of the program are to help students meet their educational expenses, encourage participation in community service activities, and instill a sense of social responsibility and commitment to the community. FWS strives to complement and reinforce the student employees’ educational programs and career goals.

Under the Federal Work Study (FWS) program, students are employed in part-time jobs on campus or in other nonprofit agencies to help meet a portion of their cost of attendance. FWS earnings are considered taxable income and must be reported as such. Students may earn up to the maximum amount specified in their financial aid package. On average, FWS students work 10–20 hours per week during the academic year. The actual amount earned depends on the student’s employability, class schedule, and the number of hours worked.

Each year, at least 7% of an eligible institution’s FWS allocation must be used for community service. Alliant encourages students to investigate opportunities for off- and on-campus community service employment.

In general, community services include:

  1. Health care, child care, literacy training, education (including tutorial services), welfare, social services, transportation, housing and neighborhood improvement, public safety, crime prevention and control, recreation, rural development and community improvement.
  2. Support for students (other than for an institution’s own students) with disabilities.
  3. Activities in which an FWS student serves as a mentor for such purposes:
    1. Tutoring
    2. Supporting educational and recreational activities
    3. Counseling, including career counseling

Eligibility is based on students’ financial need and determined by your Student Aid Index (SAI). If you are eligible, you will be awarded based on availability of FWS funds. Priority will be given to students who have filed their FAFSA by the deadline. You may receive a FWS award in your financial aid package if you meet the following criteria:

  • You filed your FAFSA by of the award year priority deadline
  • Your Student Aid Inex (SAI) is $10,000 or less

Alternative Financial Aid

We understand that students may need additional support to fund their educational experiences. Learn more about ways to advance your professional career goals.



Alliant scholarships assist eligible students in making their education affordable so they can focus on their education and reach their goals.


Undergraduate Admissions

Review the step-by-step guide to applying to a bachelor’s degree program.