Online and on-Campus MFT Programs in California Overview
Classes starting in January. Apply Today!
As a professional in couples and family therapy (MFT), you’ll explore the relationships of family members and the way their behaviors affect the family as a whole. Families have evolved, in CSPP programs you’ll learn to work with diverse individuals, couples and families, regardless of their structure or circumstance, to assist them in navigating challenging times.
CSPP offers two COAMFTE–accredited Marriage and Family Therapy graduate programs: a Master’s Degree program, offered on-campus and online, and a PsyD Degree Program, offered at California campuses such as San Diego, Irvine, Los Angeles and Sacramento.
Explore our Couples and Family Therapy programs below.
Marital and Family Therapy Degrees
Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) Programs
CSPP MFT graduate programs are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE). Of the more than 80 license-eligible MFT programs in California, Alliant is one of only a select few universities to hold the elite COAMFTE accreditation for our graduate degree programs.
In addition to ensuring that you will receive a quality family therapy education, COAMFTE-accredited programs offer students several other unique benefits, including:
- Employment opportunities through the VA: All marriage and family therapists hired by the Department of Veterans Affairs must hold a COAMFTE-accredited degree.
- Loan reimbursement through the National Health Services Corps (NHSC): In exchange for two years of work in an underserved area, NHSC offers up to $50,000 in federal loan payments for marriage and family therapists with a COAMFTE-accredited degree.
- Increased licensed portability: Educational requirements and licensure requirements for marriage and family therapists differs state-to-state. Holding a graduate degree from a COAMFTE-accredited program makes it easier to obtain MFT licensure in a new state.
Earn your MFT degree on a schedule that works for you. We offer day, evening and executive-format classes at each campus, and make every effort to meet the needs of each cohort of students.
Online MFT Program Options
Our Master’s degree in MFT has its coursework offered completely online, and is one of a small number of such programs in the nation to be COAMFTE-accredited. When participating in our online marriage and family counseling programs, students have complete flexibility to complete their education on their time — when they want to, where they want to.
Our MFT programs, as with all CSPP programs, have cultural competency at its core, and we take pride in preparing culturally and linguistically qualified mental-health professionals to become agents of change in the field of psychology.
Mission and Student Outcomes
The mission of the Couples and Family Therapy graduate programs is to provide the highest quality education, training, hands-on experience, scholarship, and service in the field. We train ethical professionals to foster the well-being and mental health of individuals, children, couples, families, organizations, and communities primarily through improving relationships.
Our MFT programs specifically focus on the understanding and respect for the diversity of human relationships across different populations from a variety of multicultural, socioeconomic, international backgrounds. Students are inspired to respect multiple dimensions of human diversity, develop a mature personal and professional identity, stay current with professional knowledge and practice, and make a positive difference for clients and society.
The Couples and Family Therapy degree program goals flow directly from the four pillars of the university: Practice, Diversity, Community, and Scholarship:
- Practice: The program graduates students who are able to deliver Couple and Family Therapy professional services competently.
- Diversity: The program graduates diverse students prepared to meet the needs of diverse communities.
- Community: The program engages various communities through the application of the knowledge and skills of Couple and Family Therapy.
- Scholarship: The program contributes to both the understanding and creation of couple and family therapy scholarship.
Continuing CSPP’s Legacy of Impact
Marriage and Family Therapy degree programs at CSPP have a long and storied history of esteemed faculty and industry luminaries that have passed through its doors to share knowledge to the next generation of family therapists. For the last 50 years, these programs have worked to produce the best marriage and family therapists and the most-respected thought leaders in the field.
Are you ready to delve into an education in couples and family therapy and work towards a career as a family therapist? The courses at Alliant International University will give you hands-on experience, exposure to knowledgeable faculty members, and first-hand experience of clinical training practices to prepare you to work in the field of family psychology.