Open Search
Open Navigation
woman helping child student with school work

AZ Teaching Certification Admission Requirements

Prepare for a career as an educator in Arizona.


Admission Requirements

Below is a list of materials and requirements you will need for your application and admission to our Arizona teaching certification programs.

If you have any questions, our expert admissions staff is here to help guide you through the process. Feel free to reach out and give us a call at (866) 825-5426.


Program Specific Admissions Requirements

  • Completed online application (fee: $65)
  • Bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited institution in the U.S. or the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree from an international institution officially recognized by that country
  • Official transcripts from degree granting institutions where a bachelor’s degree (and higher if applicable) was earned. 
  • Copy of the IVP fingerprint clearance card (front and back), or Arizona DPS fingerprint card application if you do not have the card at the time of application. Please visit the DPS site for information on applying for and receiving your IVP fingerprint clearance card:
  • Met the basic skills requirements – Passing NES/AEPA assessment of professional knowledge score reports *see deficiency extension note
  • Teaching intern/**alternative teaching certificate required for enrollment in second term and to be teacher of record along with the following: 
    • Submit verification of employment form to the credentialing department;
    • Confirm MOU
  • Minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.50 or GPA exemption petition
  • Low GPA applicants need to complete the following:
    • Submit a GPA exemption petition
    • Resume
    • Schedule an interview with the program director or assistant program director
    • Submit two letters of recommendation
    • Submit a one- to two-page essay
      • A brief autobiographical statement which addresses bachelor’s GPA, any relevant experience in teaching or working with children and adolescents, and/or within K-12 schools and graduate level degree or coursework

*Deficiency extension due to public health emergency. The NES/AEPA assessment of professional knowledge is currently not required for admissions. 

**Alternative teaching certificate application is to be completed by the candidate.

Alternative certification/internship track teaching credential: students enrolled in the internship track teaching credential with a partnering district from the Alliant MOU list must provide verification of employment as teacher of record (0.6 FTE) before enrollment in CP1. If you have previously been enrolled in a teacher preparation program, please disclose all transcripts, certifications, and/or credentials; failure to disclose supporting documents may result in ineligibility of program.

Teacher verification letter: An Arizona verification letter can be issued by the admissions department upon admission to the Arizona teacher education certificate program.


Requirements Prior to the End of the First Term

  1. Copy of the IVP fingerprint clearance card (front and back) if not provided at the time of admissions application
  2. Documentation indicating a negative TB result
  3. Proof of meeting basic skills requirements – Passing NES/AEPA assessment of professional knowledge score reports
  4. US/Arizona constitution exam
  5. Alternative teaching certificate (ATC) – students must disclose if they’ve received an ATC in the past or have requested an ATC extension
  6. Verification of employment as teacher of record (0.6 FTE) with an approved Alliant MOU that aligns with your area of study

Students who do not meet these Arizona Department of Education for Alternative Pathway requirements by the end of their first term of enrollment will be required to take an academic absence until all requirements have been met.



Elementary Teacher Certification

This program is for those who want to become an elementary-school teacher.


Secondary Teacher Certification

This program is for those who want to become a middle-school or high-school teacher.