Ever wondered whether an online education is right for you? As technology continues to progress, people all over the world gain the ability to work and study remotely. Students of all backgrounds are using online learning as an evolutionary step forward in the education sector.
Still unsure whether it’s right for you? Here are 7 benefits of online education to consider.
#1 Increased Flexibility
The first thing that comes to mind for any prospective student is flexibility2. Remote learning is rooted in flexibility, born out of a necessity for people to advance their career potential on more flexible terms1.
Of course, the online education space has shifted since its inception. What used to only be utilized part-time after work is now accessible for a wide variety of students. This flexibility is now considered one of the main reasons for seeking out an online degree over a more traditional classroom option1.
Click here to learn more about our online programs at Alliant International University.
The flexibility benefit of online learning is far-reaching:
- Engage in classes and conduct study work from the comfort of your own home1
- Select courses that fit into your schedule without the burden associated with attending classes in person1
- Access all study materials online1
- Participate in all educational processes in a safe and convenient atmosphere2
- Tailor your learning environment to meet your needs4
The flexibility of online education enables students to pursue their studies benefit from a learning environment that can be customized to meet their specific needs without suffering in quality4.
#2 Choose Your Pacing
In the same light as flexibility, online learning also sometimes provides students with the benefit of studying at their own pace1:
- Students sometimes have more leeway when it comes to speeding up or slowing down the learning process4.
- Because many lectures are recorded, students may be able to rewatch crucial demonstrations and pause the video to take notes4.
- Online education usually comes with less stringent rules on how many classes must be taken at a time
Thanks to these, students who turn to online education can tailor the learning curve to their individual needs. They can create an atmosphere that rewards their individual learning without the distraction of a competitive classroom environment4.
Don’t know what degree you want to pursue? Discover our different areas of study by clicking here.
#3 Lower Cost
Another major benefit to online learning may be the overall cost. While some full-time online degrees are priced similarly to campus study some of the costs of an in-person classroom may be reduced or eliminated. Costs like:
- Dorms or student housing (sometimes required)
- Student meal plans (sometimes required)
- Physical building costs
Plus, more students can access online classrooms, reducing the cost for all. As you can see, when it comes to online classes vs. traditional classes, both students and universities may be able to reduce costs when participating in virtual learning.
#4 More Variety
Unlike on-campus studying, online education enables you to study any subject from any location2.
There is no need to travel great distances to find that one university that offers a course in medieval French literature—with online education, the entire world of knowledge may be at your fingertips2.
#5 Develop the Art of Self-Discipline
One of the best parts of pursuing a degree is the wide range of additional skills acquired during the learning process. Your history courses might teach you a lot about history, but it also might help you hone essay writing and research skills.
Online education often combines all the skills that you would cultivate within a traditional education setting with the added self-discipline requirements it takes to pursue a degree online.
Contrary to popular beliefs, virtual learning is not necessarily easy3. In fact, an online program can be much more challenging than pursuing your education at a traditional school. Keeping up with your studies with limited oversight requires an impressive amount of self-discipline—something that every online college graduate can highlight in job applications.
#6 No Transportation Needs
One of the most appreciated benefits of virtual learning—there’s no need to go anywhere. Not only does pursuing your degree online offer the convenience of working and studying from home, but it also reduces transportation costs and your environmental burden4.
#7 Same Prestige as Traditional Schools
While prestige might not be the first thing that comes to mind when pursuing a degree online, many of the world’s leading global universities now offer remote study options1. This has created prestige with online education. Now, it is quite often accepted as an equal degree to that of their in-person counterparts.
Get Started on Your Online Degree
If you’re ready to get started with your online education, Alliant International University is a great place to begin your journey.
Alliant offers fully accredited, undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in various disciplines. As one of California’s leading private California universities, Alliant offers students online class options.
Check out Alliant’s wide range of online degree opportunities, and take control of your future.
- Stephanie Norman, "5 Advantages Of Online Learning: Education Without Leaving Home," eLearning Industry, May 12, 2021. Accessed November 29, 2021. https://elearningindustry.com/5-advantages-of-online-learning-education…
- Thomas Broderick, "7 Advantages to Taking Online Classes," OEDB.org, September 22, 2020. Accessed November 29, 2021. https://oedb.org/ilibrarian/10-advantages-to-taking-online-classes/
- Tom Snyder, "The Benefits of Online Learning,"
HuffPost, April 01, 2013. Accessed November 29, 2021. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-benefits-of-online-le_b_2573991
- Beth Dumbauld, "13 Great Benefits Of Online Learning,"
StraighterLine, November 02, 2021. Accessed November 29, 2021. https://www.straighterline.com/blog/34-top-secret-benefits-of-studying-…