Military families are very important at Alliant International University and there are many programs that offer benefits to eligible military spouses and their dependents. Alliant’s Office of Military and Veterans Affairs coordinates student services and assistance to military students and families at the University.

Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) benefit is available to the children and surviving spouses of service members who die in the line of duty after Sept. 10, 2001. The Fry Scholarship pays a benefit equal to the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Click here for rates). Beneficiaries attending school may receive the statutory annual maximum amount for a private school, plus a monthly living stipend and book allowance under this program.

How do I apply for this benefit?

Click here for an online application form Please complete the VA Form 22-5490 “Dependent Application for VA Education Benefits.”

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official US government website at

Transfer of Post-9/11 GI-Bill Benefits to Dependents (TEB)

A special provision of the new Post-9/11 GI Bill offers education benefits for the spouses and children of service members and veterans. Eligibility to transfer benefits is determined by the Department of Defense while the payment of benefits is handled by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Under the new law the Department of Defense is authorized to allow individuals who have served at least 6 years in the Armed Forces and who agree to serve at least another 4 years to transfer unused GI Bill entitlement to their spouse. In addition, when a service member reaches their 10-year anniversary they can choose to transfer the benefit to any dependents – spouse or children.

Eligibility for Transfers of GI-Bill Benefits to Dependents

Transfers of benefits are available for any member of the Armed Forces (active duty or Selected Reserve, officer or enlisted) on or after August 1, 2009, who is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, and:

  • Has at least 6 years of service in the Armed Forces on the date of election and agrees to serve 4 additional years in the Armed Forces from the date of election.
  • Has at least 10 years of service in the Armed Forces (active duty and/or selected reserve) on the date of election, is precluded by either standard policy (service or DoD) or statute from committing to 4 additional years, and agrees to serve for the maximum amount of time allowed by such policy or statute, or
  • Is or becomes retirement eligible during the period from August 1, 2009, through August 1, 2013. A service member is considered to be retirement eligible if he or she has completed 20 years of active duty or 20 qualifying years of reserve service.
  • For those individuals eligible for retirement on August 1, 2009, no additional service is required.
  • For those individuals who have an approved retirement date after August 1, 2009, and before July 1, 2010, no additional service is required.
  • For those individuals eligible for retirement after August 1, 2009, and before August 1, 2010, 1 year of additional service after approval of transfer is required.
  • For those individuals eligible for retirement on or after August 1, 2010, and before August 1, 2011, 2 years of additional service after approval of transfer are required.
  • For those individuals eligible for retirement on or after August 1, 2011, and before August 1, 2012, 3 years of additional service after approval of transfer required.

How to Apply for Transfers of Benefits

First you must go to the DoD transferability application website to determine if your dependents are eligible to receive the transferred benefits. This website is only available to military members.

Approved Transfers of Benefits

Upon approval, family members may apply to use transferred benefits with VA by completing VA Form 22-1990e. Do not use VA Form 22-1990e to apply for TEB.

VA Form 22-1990e should only be completed and submitted to VA by the family member after DoD has approved the request for TEB.

Electronic version of VA Form 22-1990e (VONAPP)

Download paper version of VA-Form 22-1990e – (PDF)

Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts MyCAA

Military spouses are the backbone for military families, displaying strength of character to be admired by this nation. The Department of Defense is committed to investing in military families, and appreciates the sacrifice of those who also serve. The Department Of Defense provides benefits to spouses via the MyCAA program.

The MyCAA Program reauthorized in 2010 is:

  • Available to spouses of active duty service members in pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2, and O1-O2. including the spouses of activated Guard and Reserve members within those ranks. Spouses of Guard and Reserve members must be able to start and complete their courses while their sponsor is on Title 10 orders.
  • Offers a maximum financial benefit of $4,000 with a fiscal year cap of $2,000. Waivers will be available for spouses pursuing licensure or certification up to the total maximum assistance of $4,000
  • Requires military spouses to finish their program of study within three years from the start date of the first course
  • Is limited to associate degrees, certification and licensures

National Guard and Reserve members must be on active duty for their spouses to receive the MyCAA benefit. Spouses may no longer use the MyCAA benefit when the service member is in an alert or demobilization period.

General George S. Brown Spouse Tuition Assistance Program (STAP)

The purpose of the Spouse Tuition Assistance Program (STAP) is to provide partial tuition assistance for spouses of Active Duty airmen or officers, who accompany members to overseas locations and will be attending college programs. The focus of the program is on the completion of degree or certificate programs that provide increased occupational opportunities for spouses.

The program provides tuition Assistance (TA) at a rate of 50% of unmet tuition charge per course, with a maximum of $1,500 per academic year and a term maximum, which is calculated by dividing the annual maximum ($1,500) by the number of terms within the academic year. For purposes of this program, “academic year” is defined as the 12-month period beginning August 1 through July 31 of each year.

VADM E.P. Travers Scholarship and Loan Program

To apply to the VADM E.P. Travers Scholarship and Loan Program, you must be the spouse of an active duty member or the dependent child of an active or retired member of the Navy or Marine Corps. You must also be a full time undergraduate student at an accredited college or university.

  • 1000 grants are awarded each academic year at $2000 each.
  • Applicants are also evaluated for an interest-free student loan of up to $3000.
  • The loan repayment begins within 30 days of award and must be repaid by allotment within 24 months.
  • Application deadline is 1 March of each year.
  • Late applications will not be considered for the scholarship; however they will be evaluated for a loan.

Coast Guard Mutual Assistance (CGMA)

Coast Guard Mutual Assistance (CGMA) offers a Supplemental Education Grant (SEG) of up to $160 per year. You can use this grant for ANY family member’s education expenses. However it does not cover Tuition expenses. This grant can also be used to pay for ASVAB, CLEP, SAT, and other study guides. CGMA also offers several education related loans. To apply, contact your local CG Mutual Assistance Representative or Education Officer.

Coast Guard Foundation

The Coast Guard Foundation provides $300,000 annually in educational grants to enlisted personnel working towards their college degree.

The U.S. Coast Guard also offers dependent spouses and Federal Coast Guard employees the opportunity to take CLEP, DANTES, and other tests at no cost.

Scholarships for Dependent Children

Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

Public Law 111-32, the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Scholarship – (PDF), amends the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) to include the children of service members who die in the line of duty after September 10th 2001. A child may be married or over 23 and still be eligible. The benefit is effective August 1st 2009, the same day the Post 9/11 GI took effect. Eligible children attending college may receive up to the highest public, in state undergraduate tuition and fees, plus a monthly living stipend and book allowance.

  • 36 months of benefits at the 100% level,
  • 15 years to use the benefit beginning on his/her 18th birthday,
  • May use benefit until his or her 33rd birthday,
  • Cannot use benefit before age 18, even if he or she has completed high school,
  • Are not eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program