Undergraduate Admissions Policies

First-Year Admission

Applicants from Secondary Schools or High Schools
The minimum high school Grade Point Average (GPA) requirement for undergraduate admission to Alliant is a cumulative 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale.

Secondary/High School Graduation and Equivalents
High school graduation is required for admission to Alliant. Alliant recognizes two equivalent ways of meeting the graduation requirement: General Educational Development (GED) certificate (applicant must have a minimum score of 410 on each of the five sections and an overall score of 450 or higher) or State High School Proficiency Examination (applicant must pass this examination).

Admissions Policy for Home-Schooled Students
Applications for Alliant International University’s degree programs are welcome from home-schooled students. All students who seek admission to Alliant from a home schooling program must supply the following:

  • Certification of completion of a home schooling program, if available, or documentation of all coursework completed.
  • Certificate or diploma from either a:
    1. Home School Agency,
    2. State Department of Education,
    3. Local school district, or
    4. Regional Superintendent of Schools
  • Literature (if applicable) describing the affiliated home school agency.
  • Students may be interviewed by an Admissions staff member.

Matriculation Deposit
Undergraduate applicants for fall are encouraged to submit the matriculation deposit by May 1st. Submitting the matriculation deposit of $100 will allow new students to reserve a space in the class. Matriculation deposits submitted after May 1st will be accepted on a space-available basis.  Matriculation deposits for undergraduate students are non-refundable.

Transfer Admission
Undergraduate students transferring to Alliant from approved institutions may meet some or all of the General Education requirements by presenting credit earned from transferable courses (defined below). Students applying to the San Diego programs must have at least 45 transferable units and a minimum grade point average of 2.0.

Official evaluation of undergraduate transfer credit is under the authority of the dean in consultation with the Office of Admissions.

Pursuant to guidelines from the Department of Education, a student may now self-certify that they have received a High School diploma or GED prior to attending a post-secondary institution. As stipulated in the regulations, if a student indicates on the FAFSA that he/she has a diploma or GED, Alliant International University is not required to have a copy of the diploma or GED as a condition of admissions. In the case of conflict of information, the University’s admissions office may determine that formal high school transcripts are required for admissions. Thus, the burden of proof is on the student to furnish official copies if requested by the admissions office as a condition of admissions. For students transferring credits from a previous educational institution, documentation that the student was enrolled and thus will transfer college credit is sufficient evidence for admission to Alliant International University. Degree requirements are determined by combining the transfer credits allowed and the academic work required to be successfully completed at Alliant. Students can request a copy of the transfer evaluation from the Office of Admissions or Registrar’s Office.

Transfer evaluation will be based on higher education work completed in which grades of C or better were earned.

Transfer Credit Limits
A maximum of 90 semester units of credit earned may be accepted for transfer from recognized undergraduate institutions. The final 30 units toward a degree must be completed at Alliant to comply with residency requirements.

Once a student has matriculated at Alliant, any further transfer credits must have prior approval of the dean or designee.

In general, courses taken more than seven years prior to the start of term for which you are applying are not eligible for waiver or transfer. However, some exceptions may be possible for courses taken in certain content areas. Applicants may petition for an  exception by completing and filing an “Exception of an Academic Policy” form with their academic advisor. All exceptions must be approved by the program director (or equivalent) in the appropriate School  at the time of admission to Alliant. In making the decision to grant an exception, the program director (or equivalent) will consider such factors as the degree to which the course content or field of study has changed substantively in recent years as well as the applicant’s level of mastery of current course objectives. In addition, individual programs may offer options for demonstrating competency in courses which were taken more than seven years prior to application. Academic advisors will be able to provide details about this option.

Basis for Institutional Transfer Credit
Transfer credits (if earned within the United States) may be accepted from institutions of higher education that are accredited by one or more of the following agencies:

  • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges
  • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Schools
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges

International students from government-recognized institutions must submit official, translated transcripts and results from a foreign educational credential evaluation service agency. The evaluations must contain degree equivalency, U.S. semester credit and grade equivalent for each course, and U.S. grade point average. A syllabus or course description, also translated into English, covering each course being considered for transfer credit should be submitted with the transcript to the Admissions Processing Center. Transcripts and syllabi documentation are evaluated for the minimum C grade equivalency requirement (see below) and subject matter content to determine the number of transfer credits allowed.

During the transfer credit evaluation process, academic work from other colleges and universities is compared to Alliant courses within the appropriate degree program and transfer credits are awarded on the basis of similar syllabi. College and university courses completed elsewhere may be considered for transfer credits as electives even though the courses are not offered at Alliant.

Alliant accepts the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) certificate and CSU GE Breadth toward lower division general education requirements.

Grades Required for Transfer Credit
Undergraduate transfer credit can be accepted from accredited institutions only in the grade received is C or better. Credit may be accepted where a D grade was received if a next-higher course in a sequence has been completed, either at Alliant or at another institution, with a grade of C or better (e.g., course in mathematics, language, etc.)

Applicants to Alliant must submit official transcripts of credit from all previously attended institutions. All grades earned at other accredited institutions will be used to compute the grade point average for admission purposes. The computed transfer credit grade point average from the other institution(s) does not appear on the Alliant permanent record.

Correspondence and Extension Courses
Alliant does not offer correspondence courses and does not accept credit for such courses.
Undergraduate university-level extension courses completed at a regionally accredited institution of higher education can be considered for transfer credits at Alliant. The extension course must be similar in content to a regular course offered at the transferring institution and at Alliant. The student must have received a grade of “C” or better in the course. No more than 20 semester units of extension credit may be applied toward the undergraduate degree requirements at Alliant. Acceptance for extension courses are taken on a case by case basis.

Military Course Credit
Please see the Military and Veterans Affairs section for more information.

Variant Courses
Vocational or technical courses, remedial high school courses and other courses below collegiate level are not accepted at Alliant as transfer credits even if the courses were completed at an accredited institution of higher education.

Review Process
Applications and additional documents are reviewed by the Office of Admissions for completeness. The Office of Admissions reviews all applications and determines which candidates will be admitted. An admitted student is expected to maintain the standard of academic performance upon which admission was based during the time between acceptance and enrollment. Official transcripts of all work completed between acceptance and enrollment must be furnished to Alliant prior to the end of the first term of enrollment.

Admission Status
An application will automatically be refused without further recourse if any fraudulent, altered, or forged documents or information are submitted. Students who meet all requirements will be considered for admission to the University but are not guaranteed admission. The Office of Admissions may rescind an offer of admission to applicants who do not abide by the standards of the Alliant Undergraduate Student Handbook, or if it is determined that application information is fraudulent, misleading or incorrect. There is no appeal process for admissions decisions. All Alliant admissions decisions are FINAL.

Conditional Admission
Applicants who have not submitted all of the required documents may be admitted on a conditional basis in some instances. Conditionally admitted students must present the required documents within the first term of study. Students who have remaining lower-division coursework to complete must do so within one year of initial enrollment date.  Failure to do so will prohibit further registration and eligibility for financial aid. International students cannot be admitted on conditional status.

Special Status/Non-Degree Applicants
Students who do not intend to earn a degree at Alliant, or who have not yet fulfilled necessary requirements for admission into a degree program, may apply to be Special Status Non-Degree students. A student who is classified as Special Status/Non-Degree need not necessarily meet the admission requirements for a degree program, but may be requested to submit supporting documentation.

From this admission status a student may apply for full admission to the University through the regular admission process. If the student becomes a degree-seeking student, a maximum of 12 semester units (undergraduate) earned while in the Special Status/Non-Degree category may be applied toward a degree program.

Special Status/Non-Degree students are not eligible for financial aid. In cases where class space is limited, degree-seeking students will have enrollment priority.

An I-20 will not be issued to international students for the Special Status Non-Degree category.

All applicants must have all previously attended colleges send official transcripts directly to the Alliant Admissions Processing Center. Student grade reports are not accepted in lieu of a transcript. Mailed or hand delivered sealed records that are addressed to the Alliant Admissions Processing Center should bear the official seal or certification and an appropriate signature from the issuing institution. Transcripts (records of studies) issued in languages other than English must be accompanied by a certified English translation together with a copy of the record(s) from which the translation was made. Academic records from non-American system institutions are evaluated according to the guidelines published by NAFSA (National Association of Foreign Student Advisors), AACRAO (American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers) and other recognized organizations. Documents submitted to the University in support of a student’s application become the property of the University. The documents cannot be returned or forwarded.

Financial Guarantee Request for International Applicants
International applicants to Alliant’s programs in the United States are required to provide evidence of financial support for their studies. International applicants must file the original International Student Financial Certification Form provided with the application packet. This financial guarantee form must be signed by the sponsor, if applicable, and certified by a bank official. A bank statement is also required from all parties who are sponsoring the student. This should be submitted with the application packet.
U.S. immigration law prohibits waiver of the financial guarantee. The financial guarantee certifies that sufficient funds are available for a student (and dependents) for study at the University for at least one academic year; and, barring unforeseen circumstances, adequate funding will be available from the same or equally dependable sources for subsequent years for the full course of study. Without this certified information, the I-20 form or IAP-66 form cannot be issued. The financial guarantee must be current within six months of the student’s start date at the University. Students must also submit copies of their valid passports.

English Language Proficiency
All international students must provide evidence of English language proficiency.
High school transcripts of students who have graduated from an English Medium Secondary School will be reviewed to determine if an interview by an Alliant English as a Second Language (ESL) instructor is needed to evaluate their English skills. The interview will determine whether or not the student must take the Alliant English Proficiency Examination. Academic performance at Alliant may reveal the necessity for further English language study by a student.

Student Meets English Proficiency Requirements for Enrollment in Degree Courses
Student provides evidence of English proficiency by one of the following:

  • English is the official language of student’s home country
  • Student graduated from U.S. university with AA, AS, BA, BS, MA, or MS degree
  • Transfer with Freshman Composition grade of B or higher from a U.S. college or university
  • Minimum TWE score of 5
  • Minimum TOEFL score require for all programs (except TESOL program): 550 paper; 213 computer; 80 Internet-based (6.0 IELTS score)
  • TESOL program minimum TOEFL requirements: 575 paper; 5 TWE; 233 computer; 80 Internet-based (Master’s); 83 Internet-based (EdD) with minimum writing score of 22; 6.5 IELTS score TESOL (EdD only):  Must also take the Writing and Critical Analysis test.  Based on results, student may be required to take further language instruction (such as ILE 5010, Graduate Communication Skills)

Student Does NOT meet English Proficiency Requirements for Enrollment in Degree Courses
Some academic programs may allow students who do not meet the English proficiency criteria to be enrolled.  Please check with the specific academic program of interest to determine if this option is available.  In these cases, the student must contact the International Language Education and Culture Center (ILEC) for language proficiency testing upon arrival.

Based on the results of the Alliant English Placement Test (EPT), students may be required to take one or more prerequisite, non-degree credit ESL courses for one or more semesters.  Students at the highest level of ESL courses will be allowed to enroll concurrently in academic degree courses upon approval of the ILEC director and the student’s academic advisor.  Academic performance at Alliant may reveal the necessity for further English language study by a student.  The University reserves the right to make the final determination of a student’s English proficiency level in all cases.

International applicants must submit official results of the college entrance exam used in the applicant’s home country’s educational system. (Applicants from countries that do not have post secondary entrance requirements/exams are exempt from this requirement.)

Placement Tests
Placement tests in English and mathematics are required for all entering undergraduate students who have not met the English or mathematics requirements for their degree.

Credit by Examination
A maximum of 27 units of examination credit from all sources will be accepted by the University. The last 30 units of course requirements may not be fulfilled by examination.

International Baccalaureate Diploma
Alliant recognizes the academic challenge and motivation inherent in the International Baccalaureate Program. Such a program, satisfactorily completed, will be favorably considered in admissions decisions to Alliant. In addition, Alliant awards a student at least 3 credits for a score of 5, 6, 7 on a Standard level exam and at least 3 credits for a score of 4, 5, 6, 7 on a higher level exam. Where applicable, these units will be applied to the lower division academic requirements.

Advanced Placement Tests (AP)
Any student who has taken the College Entrance Examination Board Advanced Placement Tests in a secondary school or high school and who has earned satisfactory scores (three or higher) can be credited with up to 27 units of coursework and/or be placed in advanced courses. Advanced Placement Test Equivalents may be found in a chart on the last page of the Course Equivalents section of the catalog.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Satisfactory scores on the General and Subject Examinations of the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) may entitle a student to receive up to 27 units of academic credit. The Academic Advisor can provide detailed information on the tests available, fee schedules, and testing dates. For a listing of CLEP equivalents at Alliant, see the last page of the Course Equivalents Scores should be sent to the Admissions Processing Center for evaluation.

Auditing Courses
Applicants, who wish to take academic courses, but not receive credit, may audit courses. Students auditing courses are not required to take exams and complete assignments. They will not receive letter grades or credit. Students who wish to audit classes must:

  • Complete the Course Audit Application
  • Pay application fees
  • Obtain written permission from the program where the course is requested to be taken
  • Receive an acceptance notification from the Office of Admissions before attending classes
  • Complete regular registration procedures
  • Pay audit fees and any additional fees.

Students who fail to maintain satisfactory attendance will receive a no-credit grade.

Applicants for Re-Admission
Students who are not in continuous enrollment must apply for re-admission through the Office of Admissions. Continuous enrollment is defined as being officially registered and pursuing an academic program for two semesters, not including summer. Students who have not enrolled for two consecutive semesters must apply for re-admission unless they have obtained an approved leave of absence. Students must submit a Re-Admission application, an application fee (see Expenses and Financial Aid for program fee schedule), and any new transcripts from schools attended since last enrolled at Alliant. Veteran’s returning from active duty are guaranteed readmission subject to specific conditions (See the  Military and Veterans Affairs section for more information).

Students who are re-admitted will be treated as new students and their transcripts will be evaluated by the dean, academic department or designee based on current curriculum and admission requirements.

Returning Alliant Graduates
Students who complete a degree, credential, or certificate program at Alliant and wish to be considered for another program must submit an appropriate application to the Admissions Processing Center and a non-refundable application-processing fee. All such applicants are expected to meet all admission requirements for the new degree program.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, only enrolled students, not non-matriculated applicants, have access to academic records including the application material on file at Alliant International University. All documents presented for admission or evaluation of credit become the property of Alliant International University and may not be returned to the applicants. Therefore, please keep copies of all the information you submit to us. Most material is kept on file for one year; it is not kept indefinitely.