Dr. John Bakaly has been a Professor of Psychology in the Clinical Psychology PsyD Program at the California School of Professional Psychology at Alliant International University, Los Angeles Campus since 1992. He is a faculty member in the Family/Child and Couple Clinical Psychology Emphasis Area. He teaches courses in the area of clinical interviewing, systems interventions with family/child/adolescents, family psychology, family violence and divorce and remarriage.
He cofounded and is on the Training Faculty of the Family Support Services of the Los Angeles, Pasadena, Inland Empire and Stanford Ronald McDonald Houses. As a primary supervisor, he trains and supervises psychology practicum students, interns, postdocs and MFT students in their work with seriously ill children and their families.
He has been the consulting psychologist at Polytechnic School for over thirty years, an Independent College Preparatory School in Pasadena, CA where he works with students, families and faculty. He currently is a consultant for the school. He has worked extensively with many schools and teachers in the San Gabriel Valley.
He has been in private practice in the West San Gabriel Valley for 30 years specializing with children adolescent, families, parenting, psychological assessment and adult interventions.
He is a member and Fellow of the American Psychological Association, Society of Family Psychology Division 43.
He holds licenses as both a Psychologist and a Marriage Family Therapist in the State of California.
Systemic interventions with children, adolescents, and families, parenting, psychological assessment, divorce and remarriage, children with serious illness and their families, LGBTQ children, adolescents, emerging adults and their families and adult interventions.
- Doctorate Degree in Counseling Psychology from the University of Southern California in 1987.
- Regas, S., Hernandez, M., Bakaly, J. & Doonan, R. (in press.). Family Support Services at Ronald McDonald House Promotes Healing of Seriously Ill Children. In C. Clauss-Ehlers (Ed.), The Cambridge Handbook of Community Psychology: Interdisciplinary and Contextual Perspectives. Cambridge University Press.
- Regas, S.J, Kostick, K, Bakaly, J.W & Doonan, R. (2017). "Including the self-of-the therapist in clinical training. Couple and Family Psychology: Research and Practice." 6(1), 18-31.
- Regas, S., Doonan, R., Caffaro, J. & Bakaly, J. (2012). "Family systems practice: A case for sibling-informed group intervention." GROUP: The Journal of the Eastern Group Psychotherapy Society, 35(4), 305-318.
- Bakaly, J. (2020). Clinical Aspects of a New Agenda for the Psychology of LGBTQ Youth and Emerging Adults. Presentation at the 2020 Annual Conference of APA, Washington, DC.
- Leader and organizer of an APA-Pre Convention Workshop, A New Agenda for the Psychology of LGBTQ Youth and Emerging Adults, August 7th, 2019 at the Chicago School of Professional Psychology in Chicago before the APA 2019 Annual Convention.