Marriage and Family Therapist in Los Angeles
Ready to enhance your life and the lives of others? When you earn your MA or PsyD in marriage and family therapy in Los Angeles, you’ll learn critical thinking and evaluation skills, develop a strong research background, and gain firsthand clinical experience—all while enjoying LA’s dynamic energy, thrilling cultural scene, and gorgeous natural scenery.
At our MFT programs in Los Angeles, you’ll develop the skills in clinical mental health counseling to keep you at the forefront of a rapidly changing field. Situated in a major urban metropolis, our LA campus provides easy access to diverse communities, top-tier supervision, and internships and networking that greatly help you on your way to becoming a licensed professional clinical counselor. It’s easy to put innovative family theories and techniques into practice in such an innovative—and inspiring—place. Your therapy education and background in professional psychology will all be put to good use.
To learn more about this family therapy program and other offerings, visit our CSPP-dedicated microsite. You’ll find videos featuring our university president, dean of CSPP, and faculty, along with numerous interactive features!
MFT Degree in Los Angeles
MA in Marriage and Family Therapy
The Los Angeles MA in marriage and family therapy covers a wide range of topics including family science, behavioral science, trauma and crisis intervention, and more. In the graduate program, you’ll learn advanced research methods and design, participate in 300 hours of direct client contact in family counseling, and develop your counseling psychology skills as a knowledgeable MFT trainee in 100 hours of top-tier supervision.
PsyD in Marriage and Family Therapy
Complete a COAMFTE-accredited specialization in a rapidly innovating psychological field with our Los Angeles doctorate in marriage and family therapy. Develop your skills as a professional clinical counselor and more. We provide essential cultural competency training, professional hands-on training, and advanced academic coursework designed to improve your clinical psychology practice—in any state.
Aims and Competencies
Program Aims and Objectives
- Develop a graduate-level base of knowledge for future training and practice in myriad marriage and family situations
- Learn to complete critical assessments and interventions based in strong scientific principles across diverse populations
9 Levels of Competencies to Complete
- Gain the skills to produce new research and evaluate existing studies in the scientific literature
- Demonstrate a thorough and applicable understanding of ethical and legal standards in the marriage and family field
- Develop cultural sensitivity when handling cases across a diverse population
- Represent professionalism in line with the standards of psychological practice, including responsiveness to feedback, independence in decision-making, and openness to self-reflection
- Build effective relationships and communicate productively with patients and professionals in psychology
- Conduct evidence-based assessment with competence as the core of decision-making
- Recommend and execute scientifically-informed interventions in a wide variety of situations
- Display an understanding of the goals and methods of productive supervision
- Form an ability to collaborate with health service professionals on an individual and group level
Applying for the MA in marriage and family therapy Los Angeles program, a comprehensive family therapy education, requires the completion of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution and a minimum 3.0 GPA. We also ask for a statement of purpose, a current resume, letters of recommendation, and official transcripts.
To apply for the PsyD in marriage and family therapy, you must first have completed a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with a GPA minimum of 3.0. In addition to a resume, letters of recommendation, and official transcripts, you’ll complete a faculty interview and submit a 4–6 page essay on your personal and professional development and your research interests.
Directions to Our Campus
When you complete our Los Angeles MFT degree, you’ll also enjoy our prime campus location as your home base. Located at 1000 South Fremont Avenue #5, Alhambra, CA 91803, we’re just miles northeast of LA’s bustling, culturally rich downtown. Learn from fellow MFT students in over twenty classrooms and study spaces, and access world-class research in our computer lab and video conferencing room. We’ve designed an MFT California campus space dedicated wholly to your family therapy education and professional success in a marriage family therapy career.
Build the foundation to foster healthier relationships with an MA or PsyD in marriage and family therapy. Then, take your systemic and relational skills and knowledge in any direction you choose. So whether your goal is to be an MFT trainee or a licensed mental health professional , the MFT program largely contributes to your development.
Our Campus Address:
1000 South Fremont Avenue #5
Alhambra, CA 91803.
Our hours are:
9AM – 5PM Monday through Friday
Our contact phone number is: (626) 988-8699