Political Science Bachelor's Program
Do you want to make a real difference in your community? Your city? Your world? Then Political Science may be the right field for you. Alliant International University, San Diego offers a Political Science program that prepares students for careers in the public and private sectors or for further graduate study.
Students majoring in Political Science study political behavior, institutions, and systems both in the U.S. and around the world. They gain a deep understanding of political, social and economic issues and processes and their interconnectedness. The course work emphasizes development of critical and analytical thinking and writing skills, as well as competence in the subject matter. Following the university’s mission and values, the program embraces a multicultural, global and interdisciplinary approach toward education, which teaches students the skills needed to work effectively within and across cultural and national boundaries, and tackle local, regional and global political challenges.
Professional internships, community service projects, and research activities round out the political science program, connecting the concepts and theories learned in the classroom with its practical, real-world application in organizations.
All students in the Political Science program choose one of three concentration areas. These concentrations allow you to specialize and refine your skills focusing on your area of interest:
- International Business Administration
- Latin American Studies
Career Fields & Graduate Study
Students pursuing the major in Political Science are trained for careers in the public and private sectors, including federal, state and local governments, non-profit and nongovernmental organizations, business, foreign policy and diplomacy, campaign management, journalism, and law.
Students looking to continue on and pursue a graduate level education will be prepared for study in the fields of political science, international relations, law, business, and public policy. Graduates of the political science major are eligible to apply to Alliant’s own graduate programs in Law, Business, and International Relations.
MBA Direct Path Program for Our Bachelor’s Students
Alliant’s School of Management welcomes bachelor’s students with proven leadership potential and academic aptitude to apply for its MBA Direct Path program. Students that qualify, and plan accordingly, can move directly from their bachelor’s program into the master’s of business administration (MBA) program, and finish grad school in less time.
To be eligible, political science students must enroll in the International Business Administration Concentration. The foundational MBA classes will be waived, and in their senior year, students will take specific bridge courses to prepare them for the MBA program. This study plan lowers the MBA course requirements from the usual sixteen, to just nine classes.
MBA Direct Path Scholarships are available for exceptional candidates with GPA of 3.5 and above.
- 60 unit major (20 courses)
- 48 units of core curriculum
- 12 units of concentration courses
- Transfer Students can get credit for most general education courses taken at other schools
- First-time freshman can complete their general education requirements at Alliant
- Evening class schedule
- On-campus and hybrid class options
Political Science Program - Distinct Features
- Applied Learning: students will complete a senior research project, professional development courses, and a professional internship, plus have an opportunity to attend and present at national academic conferences
- Emphasis on a developing a global world view and adopting a diverse, multicultural perspective
- Study abroad opportunities at our Mexico City campus and with our partner universities in Europe and China
The Political Science program offers students a rigorous core curriculum that covering a broad scope of topics relevant to the field. They gain a deep understanding of political practices and the institutions and systems in which they function.
The program starts with introductory, prerequisite courses and leads up to deeper topics focused on international relations and comparative politics, social issues in world politics, and international economics and law.
The faculty of Alliant International University is a diverse group of working professionals. In addition to teaching, members of the faculty own their own businesses, are active in community organizations, or do consulting work. More importantly, they are accessible to students and truly care about your success. You will form close relationships with the faculty in your program and even have opportunities to work with them directly on research activities.
Why Choose Alliant?
- Small classes, small campus, community feel
- Finish your degree on schedule, no impacted majors
- Fall, spring, and summer admissions
- Classes are scheduled in the evening, so you can work while attending school
- Tuition scholarships available to all domestic students
- WASC accredited university