Teach the Next Generation of English Speakers with a Master’s in TESOL Online or On-Campus
With more than 1.5 billion people around the world learning English, English as a Second Language (ESL) and English as a Foreign Language (EFL) educators are in demand. With Alliant’s on-campus and online TESOL master’s programs, you’ll have the key that unlocks doors in the United States and abroad.
Alliant’s TESOL graduate program in California puts theory and practice into play for maximum impact in the learning environment. Our TESOL degree program blends the perfect balance of TESOL methodology, linguistics and education curriculum for both experienced and prospective ESL and EFL educators.
TESOL Careers That Span a World of Opportunity
Our TESOL graduates enjoy successful careers educating the next generation of English language learners at all levels, and in locations near and far. Whether teaching students or training teachers, you’ll have access to opportunities such as:
- Teaching ESL/EFL in colleges and universities
- Teaching English for Specific Purposes (ESP) in academic, business, healthcare and science and technology organizations
- Training EFL teachers in your country and abroad
- Teaching ESL/EFL in private schools
- Enhancing elementary and secondary teaching with EFL skills
- Serving as an administrator or policymaker in government agencies and other institutions
- Developing and writing EFL textbooks, learning materials and other publications
- Earning a doctorate degree in TESOL at universities worldwide, including Alliant
- And much more
Please note that this program does not result in a California teaching credential to teach in K-12 schools.
- 30 units (10 courses)
- Full program completion in as few as 15 months
- 8-week term format with courses running year-round
- Convenient on-ground or online courses for working professionals
- Applied, hands-on learning opportunities
- Highly-qualified and experienced faculty
- Low student-to-faculty ratio
- International student community
- No GRE requirement
- No prerequisites – any undergraduate major is welcome to apply (a language requirement may apply for applicants whose first language is not English)
- San Diego, California
- 8-week Terms
Review application deadlines and our rolling admissions policy on our admissions page.
Student Learning Outcomes
The Master’s in TESOL online and on-campus programs prepares students to:
- Acquire a knowledge base and skills for development as a TESOL professional including an understanding of the history of TESOL and the TESOL profession
- Gain a wide repertoire of appropriate methods and techniques for teaching English learners
- Acquire knowledge of second language acquisition and learning theories and how they relate to methods and classroom applications
- Develop an understanding, knowledge base and appropriate dispositions related to the historical, social, cultural, and political issues that impact teaching situations
- Acquire a knowledge base in linguistics with focus on English structure, its use and functions in society
- Acquire the ability to apply their knowledge of TESOL methodology and second language acquisition and learning theories to the development of lesson plans and curriculum design
- Develop skills for the planning and implementation of standards-based ESL/EFL content-based instruction
- Acquire knowledge of and develop skills for a variety of assessment measures for monitoring and evaluating the progress of English learners
- Acquire knowledge of research methods and the ability to evaluate professional literature
- Acquire knowledge and skills for the integration of technology into second language teaching curriculum
- Two letters of recommendation from supervisors, academic instructors, volunteer coordinators or other professional and/or academic relationships
- 2-4 page personal essay including autobiographical statement, professional aspirations, accomplishments and any relevant experience
- Official undergraduate transcripts from a regionally-accredited university (degrees in progress are acceptable) with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (GPA exemptions may be granted)
- $65 application fee
- International students: Please review Alliant’s additional admission requirements for international applicants. A Graduate English Communications language requirement may apply for applicants whose native language is not English.
Get Started Today!
If you have questions about becoming a teacher of English to speakers of other languages, our admissions process, or how our TESOL online program or TESOL on-campus program works, contact an admissions counselor today at 1-866-825-5426.