Be Proud of Your Education
At Alliant’s California School of Professional Psychology (CSPP), we are proud: Proud of our program. Proud of our students. But most of all, proud of what our students go on to do.
Earning a PsyD and practicing marriage and family therapy means different things to different people. But all MFTs can agree that it is:
- being tactful, sensitive, and understanding of the diverse populations you will serve
- being passionate about providing therapy to both families or individuals in need
- keeping up to date on industry innovations, understanding the latest research and interventions, and contributing to the ever-evolving body of research
- being a vital part of a growing field
- making a lasting impact with individuals, couples, families, and communities
Whatever marriage and family means to you, our COAMFTE-Accredited Marriage and Family Therapy PsyD Degree in Sacramento offers comprehensive education and training to help prepare you for a career of impact.
1. Hands-on Experience, Specialized Expertise
A PsyD in marriage and family therapy offers a variety of professional opportunities.
Will you open your own private practice or contribute to an already established practice? Will you provide therapy at a hospital, school, or another philanthropic mental health organization? Do you envision researching therapeutic practices and theories and contributing to the ever-growing body of research in marriage and family therapy? Or will you earn your teaching credentials to share your knowledge and experience to whole new generation of therapists?
Your internship opportunities will help you determine where your interests and future career lie. We partner with a variety of Sacramento organizations that offer unique training opportunities to fulfill your interests and specializations.
Your internship opportunities may serve:
- veterans struggling with a variety of mental illness
- women and children who are victims of violent crimes and domestic abuse
- at-risk juveniles
- individuals who self-identify or are perceived to be gender variant
- adult-aged victims of child abuse
- children of divorce
- children and adults experiencing severe mental illness
- children and adults experiencing intellectual disabilities
- women and children facing homelessness, poverty, and abuse
- adults in psychiatric hospitals
- Spanish-speaking individuals and families
- faith-based individuals and families
- Asian Pacific Islanders and other underserved women and children
These Sacramento practicum locations will help fulfill the hours of supervised therapy and group supervision required in the marriage and family therapy PsyD program, all while gaining hands-on experience in a real-world setting.
If you have a question about the Sacramento program, specific courses, or a general question about marriage and family therapy, our professors are here to help you in any way they can.
2. What to Expect at the California School of Professional Psychology
Extensive marriage and family therapy curriculum and practical internship opportunities are just the beginning. Your PsyD degree will be offer additional opportunities for:
- networking and building relationships with experts in the field
- engaging in a program rooted in multicultural counseling
Students of the Sacramento MFT PsyD degree program will also complete the master’s level practicum and curriculum requirements. Master’s degree students of Alliant can apply all 60 units toward the 114 units required by the PsyD degree. All but 30 of these units must be earned at Alliant.
All doctoral students have a maximum of 10 years to complete the MFT Psyd program.
On average the PsyD degree curriculum may be completed in the following time frames:
- 3 years – Full-time student who is already completed the master’s program
- 4 years – Full-time student who is transferring units from another university
- 5 years – Full-time student also completing the master’s program
- 6 years – Part-time student
Whether you seek to provide treatment to diverse populations, or to become a well-rounded marriage and family therapist, our MFT program in Los Angeles offers the education, experience, and expertise necessary to make an impact in this vital field — one family at a time.
Take the Next Step
Marriage and family therapy is a demanding yet incredibly rewarding job, and one that you will bring you immense pride.
We can help you set your degree, career, and future in motion toward a life dedicated to marriage and family therapy.
Whether you have a question, or just want to learn more about this program, contact an Admissions Counselor today for more information about Sacramento’s PsyD in MFT Degree.
The Marriage and Family Therapy Program at Alliant International University in Sacramento is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE), 112 South Alfred Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314, (703) 838-9808, firstname.lastname@example.org.