Application Requirements: Organizational Psychology Programs
The application requirements listed here are applicable to the following programs:
- Organizational Behavior MA: Fresno, San Francisco
- Organization Development PsyD: Fresno, San Francisco
- Organizational Psychology MA: Los Angeles, San Diego
- Organizational Psychology PhD: Los Angeles, San Diego
1. Online Graduate Application Form: Required for all applicants.
2. Non-refundable $65 Application Fee: Required for all applicants.
3. Official Transcripts: Required for all applicants. Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work are required. Transcripts must be submitted from each institution attended, even if transfer units appear on another document. If you attend(ed) an institution with pass/fail grades, please also include any accompanying narrative evaluations.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to see that all transcripts are submitted as a part of the application. It may be necessary to submit transcripts on which final grades have not yet been posted, in which case you should provide supplementary transcripts as soon as possible. If there is a delay in processing your official transcript request, you should submit unofficial photocopies of transcripts in the interim. Without a complete set of transcripts, your application will be considered incomplete.
International applicants and those who received bachelor’s degrees and/or master’s degrees from higher education institutions outside the United States are required to submit official transcript evaluations. See the Graduate Admissions Requirements for further instructions.
4. Grade Point Average Exemption Petition: Required only if GPA is below 3.0.
California School of Professional Psychology requires that applicants have an undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. If your undergraduate or graduate (if applicable) GPA is below 3.0, you must submit a petition requesting an exemption from this academic requirement. Please use the designated space in the online application to indicate which of the following options will constitute your GPA exemption petition:
- A brief statement discussing past special academic or personal circumstances explaining academic performance below 3.0
- Official copies of test scores (GRE) supporting academic ability (strongly recommended)
- A list of scholarly publications supporting past academic/intellectual achievement
If you choose to submit the statement or the supporting publication material, please do so in the GPA Exemption Petition field on the online application. If you choose to submit official test scores, please provide additional detail in the Test Scores section of the online application.
5. Resume/Curriculum Vita: Required for all applicants. Submit a current resume or curriculum vita, which includes your relative experience, including volunteer work if applicable.
6. Essay: Required for all applicants.
Applicants to all Organizational Psychology programs must submit an essay as a part of the application. Please respond in one comprehensive essay of 6-7 double-spaced pages to the following, using distinct sections for each part. Include your name and the page number at the top of each page.
A. Describe your career objectives, including your reasons for wanting to undertake studies in the specific program to which you are applying. Please also discuss why you are interested in studying at the California School of Professional Psychology at Alliant International University.
B. Write a brief autobiographical sketch, highlighting those experiences most relevant to your interest in organizational psychology, organizational behavior or organization development.
C. Although we recognize that your specific areas of study may change over the course of your training, please describe a research or applied organizational problem that you might like to explore in your studies. Please be as specific as possible. This essay should demonstrate your knowledge of organizational psychology or organizational behavior and how multicultural and/or international issues play a role in the project or research you describe. Also, as relevant, please demonstrate in this section your knowledge of contemporary issues and current research in the field. Use the essay to show your understanding of research methods, the application of theory and scholarship to applied problems, and your ability to integrate the professional literature with your own perspectives on the issues.
7. Course Descriptions: Course descriptions are required in the following two instances:
Graduate Entry Requirement: If you are using courses to meet the graduate entry requirements for a program, you must submit course descriptions if the courses you are using to fulfill the required subjects are titled differently from program requirements. Appropriate documentation includes copies of course descriptions, outlines or syllabi. This information should be submitted with your application materials.
Organizational Psychology Graduate Entry Requirement: Preparation in Psychology:
Applicants to the Organizational Psychology MA and PhD programs must have completed one of the following three options prior to matriculation. These are not required for applicants to the Organizational Behavior MA program. Graduate entry requirements for the Organization Development PsyD program are listed at the end of this section.
Option #1: Earned a BA/BS degree with a major in psychology or other behavioral science. (A master’s degree will not fulfill this requirement.)
Option #2: If the BA/BS degree is not in psychology or other behavioral science, you must have completed coursework in the following areas with a grade of “B” or better:
a) Introductory Statistics (may be taken outside the psychology department)
b) Two undergraduate or graduate courses in the behavioral sciences or human resources
Option #3: Earned a score in the 80th percentile or better on the GRE Psychology Test. Official test scores are required for this option.
Applicants to the Organization Development PsyD program must have completed one of the following two options prior to matriculation:
Option #1: Earned a master’s degree from an accredited university, which includes at least 9 units in organizational behavior, organization development, social or behavioral science, or a closely related field.
Option #2: If the master’s degree is not in a related field, demonstrate 10 or more years of significantly related work experience.
Approval of courses and work experience is subject to review by the Program Director.
All coursework used to fulfill graduate entry requirements must have been completed prior to beginning the program. All coursework must have been taken at fully accredited institutions. Please use the designated space in the online application to indicate how you are meeting the graduate entry requirement.
Alliant’s Continuing Education Division offers many of the prerequisite courses in an online format. Contact your admissions counselor or the CE website for details.
Transfer Credit: If you are petitioning to receive transfer credit for previous graduate work, you must submit a detailed coursework portfolio along with your application, which includes course outlines, syllabi or letters from instructors describing specific course content for all relevant graduate courses completed. If coursework was taken at more than one institution, indicate the institution where each course was taken.
Applicants to CSPP graduate programs may be eligible to receive credit for previous graduate work, at the discretion of the program to which they are admitted. These credits must be completed with a grade of “B” or better from a regionally accredited institution within the past seven years. A maximum of 6 semester units of graduate coursework can be accepted into a master’s program of 40 semester hours or less and a maximum of 9 semester units in an academic program of 41 semester units or more. A maximum of 30 semester units of graduate coursework can be accepted into a doctoral program. All applicants must meet the graduate level entry requirements for the program of application before they will be reviewed for transfer credit. Program-specific information about transfer credit eligibility may be obtained from the admissions office and is included in the university catalog. The Organizational Psychology PhD program offers a non-terminal master’s degree. Please review the university catalog for details regarding transfer credit restrictions for receiving the non-terminal master’s degree.
8. Test Scores
Test scores are required in the following three instances. In these cases, please include this information in the Test Scores section of the online application.
- English Proficiency: Applicants whose native language is not English or who have not earned an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited U.S. higher education institution are required to submit test scores to show English proficiency. Please see the Alliant International University Graduate Admissions Requirements for further instructions. If you have a unique situation and can demonstrate English proficiency in a manner not outlined in one of these options, please contact your admissions counselor directly to request an exemption from this requirement.
- GPA Exemption Petition: Applicants may elect to submit GRE scores to support the GPA Exemption Petition.
- Graduate Entry Requirement: Applicants may elect to submit GRE Psychology Subject Test scores to fulfill the Graduate Entry Requirement.
9. Recommendations: A minimum of two recommendations are required for all applicants.
Recommendations should be from references familiar with your work, your academic abilities, or your potential for scholarship and professional accomplishment. If you have been out of school for several years, please feel free to submit recommendations from persons who are familiar with you on any level of professional involvement.
10. Additional Requirements for International Applicants: International applicants should review the additional requirements outlined in the Alliant International University Graduate Admissions Requirements.