Application Requirements: Clinical Counseling MA Program
Click here to download a PDF version of the application requirements for the Clinical Counseling MA program - (PDF), for easy printing and reference.
1. Online Graduate Application Form: Required for all applicants.
2. Non-refundable $65 Application Fee: Required for all applicants.
3. Official Transcripts: Required for all applicants. Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work are required. Transcripts must be submitted from each institution attended, even if transfer units appear on another document. If you attend(ed) an institution with pass/fail grades, please also include any accompanying narrative evaluations.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to see that all transcripts are submitted as a part of the application. It may be necessary to submit transcripts on which final grades have not yet been posted, in which case you should provide supplementary transcripts as soon as possible. If there is a delay in processing your official transcript request, you should submit unofficial photocopies of transcripts in the interim. Without a complete set of transcripts, your application will be considered incomplete.
International applicants and those who received bachelor’s degrees and/or master’s degrees from higher education institutions outside the United States are required to submit official transcript evaluations. See the Graduate Admissions Requirements for further instructions.
4. Grade Point Average Exemption Petition: Required only if GPA is below 3.0. California School of Professional Psychology requires that applicants have an undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. If your undergraduate or graduate (if applicable) GPA is below 3.0, you must submit a petition requesting an exemption from this academic requirement. Please use the designated space in the online application to indicate which of the following options will constitute your GPA exemption petition:
- A brief statement discussing past special academic or personal circumstances explaining academic performance below 3.0
- Official copies of test scores (GRE) supporting academic ability (strongly recommended)
- A list of scholarly publications supporting past academic/intellectual achievement
If you choose to submit the statement or the supporting publication material, please do so in the GPA Exemption Petition field on the online application. If you choose to submit official test scores, please provide additional detail in the Test Scores section of the online application.
5. Resume/Curriculum Vita: Required for all applicants. Submit a current resume or curriculum vita, which includes your experience relative to the field of clinical psychology, including volunteer work if applicable.
6. Essay: Required for all applicants. Please respond in one comprehensive essay of 3-5 pages. Include your name and the page number at the top of each page. Please discuss:
A. Your background
B. Honors, activities and other creative accomplishments
C. Your professional goals
D. How do you see your participation in this program as enhancing your educational experience and ultimately your career?
E. Upon completion of this program, how would you use this privilege to better society?
7. Course Descriptions: Course descriptions are required only for applicants who are seeking transfer credit for previous graduate work. If you are petitioning to receive transfer credit for previous graduate work, you must submit a detailed coursework portfolio along with your application, which includes course outlines, syllabi or letters from instructors describing specific course content for all relevant graduate courses completed. If coursework was taken at more than one institution, indicate the institution where each course was taken.
A maximum of 9 semester units of graduate coursework can be accepted for transfer into the Clinical Counseling master's program, at the discretion of the program. These credits must be completed with a grade of "B" or better from a regionally accredited institution within the past seven years. Regarding Graduate Entry Requirements, please note that the Clinical Counseling master's program does not require applicants to complete pre-requisite courses or other preparation in psychology before matriculation.
8. Test Scores: Test scores are required in the following two instances. In these cases, please include this information in the Test Scores section of the online application.
English Proficiency: Applicants whose native language is not English or who have not earned an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited U.S. higher education institution are required to submit test scores to show English proficiency. Please see the Alliant International University Graduate Admissions Requirements for further instructions. If you have a unique situation and can demonstrate English proficiency in a manner not outlined in one of these options, please contact your admissions counselor directly to request an exemption from this requirement.
GPA Exemption Petition: Applicants may elect to submit GRE scores to support the GPA Exemption Petition.
9. Recommendations: Two recommendations are required for all applicants.
Recommendations should be from references familiar with your work, your academic abilities, or your potential for scholarship and professional accomplishment. If you have been out of school for several years, please feel free to submit recommendations from persons who are familiar with you on any level of professional involvement.
10. Additional Requirements for International Applicants: International applicants should review the additional requirements outlined in the Alliant International University Graduate Admissions Requirements.
Adobe Reader is required to view the PDF documents on this page. (Download Adobe Reader)