Earn a Salary While Earning Your Teaching Credential
Alliant’s Standard Intern Teaching Credential Program allows you the ability to continue working as a paid teacher while pursuing your Preliminary K-12 California Teaching Credential (Single Subject, Multiple Subject or Education Specialist).
In addition to your paid intern teaching position, you will also engage in online coursework and professional mentoring from an experienced Alliant field supervisor. You can decide whether you wish to complete your pedagogy coursework before securing an intern teaching credential or complete both simultaneously.
We’ve helped prepare hundreds of California teachers for an effective, rewarding, and enduring career as a teacher serving California’s diverse student population and communities. Let us help you to become the next.
The Standard Intern Teaching Option is an alternative teacher certification program, approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC). This teacher preparation program provides students the necessary coursework and instruction allowing them to work toward their preliminary California teaching credential, all while working as a paid teacher. All other coursework and assignments are completed online.
Under the Standard Intern Option, students assume immediate and full teaching and classroom management responsibilities. While working under this teaching internship credential, students receive mentorship and support through a minimum of three (3) classroom observations and coaching sessions conducted by a designated Alliant field supervisor each term.
Please note: Candidates are responsible for finding and securing an approved intern teaching position; private schools are not state-eligible to host intern teachers.
When to Apply
We offer a variety of courses every eight weeks. We offer rolling admissions where applicants are reviewed for admission on an on-going basis.
We encourage all prospective students to apply as early as possible to achieve the following:
- secure program position and next available start date
- ensure all required testing is completed in time
- receive full consideration for all possible scholarships and financial aid opportunities
- Official undergraduate transcripts from a regionally-accredited university (degrees in progress are acceptable) with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (GPA exemptions may be granted)
- California Basic Educational Skills Test™ (CBEST®)
- 2-4 page personal essay including autobiographical statement, professional aspirations, accomplishments and any relevant experience in teaching or working with children and adolescents, and/or within K-12 schools
- Current resume or curriculum vitae
- Two letters of recommendation from supervisors, academic instructors, volunteer coordinators, or other professional and/or academic relationships
- International applicants: English language proficiency and additional requirements will be needed for international applicants. Please review Alliant’s additional admission requirements for international applicants
- Additional Requirements for Preliminary Teacher Credentialing Programs
- In addition to general admission requirements, Preliminary Teacher Credentialing candidates must comply with several additional requirements mandated by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing before beginning any student or intern teaching assignment
Intern Teaching Requirements
In addition to the California School of Education’s general admission requirements, intern teaching credential candidates must comply with several additional requirements mandated by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) before beginning any intern teaching position. These requirements are meant to enhance your success in the classroom and support your students’ safety and wellbeing.
Please note that these are not admission requirements for entry into the preliminary teaching credential program – only to participate in the intern teaching portion of the program. Alliant staff will help guide you through meeting these requirements, which include:
- California CTC Certificate of Clearance
- US Constitution competency
- Offer of Employment letter
- Signed Statement of Release form
- 120 hours of pre-service, which can be fulfilled through an online course offered each term. Students must be enrolled in Alliant’s credential program to enroll in the Preservice course
- Verification of passing the CBEST (California Basic Educational Skills Test)
- For Multiple Subject candidates only: Verification of passing the California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET) for Multiple Subjects (all sub-tests) prior to beginning teaching internship.
For Single Subject candidates only: Verification of passing the subject-matter-appropriate California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET) or obtain a Single Subject matter equivalency letter from a CTC-approved California University in their appropriate subject area prior to beginning teaching internship.
Take the next step toward earning your intern teaching credential while maintaining a paid teaching position by contacting an Admissions Counselor today at 1-866-825-5426.