The California School of Education is focused on admitting the best candidates for our programs to meet the demanding needs of schools and educators working with children and adults.

When to Apply – Rolling Admissions

Admission is granted on a rolling admissions basis. Qualified applicants will continue to be accepted into a program, provided that space remains available.

Advantages of Applying Early

We encourage prospective students to apply as early as possible to achieve the following:

  1. Secure program position and desired start date
  2. Receive full consideration for all possible scholarships and financial aid opportunities
  3. Make sure all required testing may be completed in time

Available entry terms vary by program. International applicants and intern teaching candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible.

Admission Terms by Program

New students are admitted for the following terms:

8-Week Terms: January, March, May, July, September & October

  • Autism Spectrum Disorders Added Authorization Certificate
  • Child Development BA
  • CTEL/CLAD Certificate: California Teachers of English Learners (CTEL) and Cross-Cultural Language and Academic Development (CLAD)
  • Educational Leadership and Management EdD
  • Educational Psychology PsyD (January and August start only)
  • Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential-only program in School Counseling
  • Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential-only program in School Psychology
  • School Counseling (MAEd) with Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential
  • School Psychology (MAEd) with Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential
  • Teaching Credential Programs
  • TESOL (MA)

Fall, Spring and Summer Semesters

  • TESOL (EdD)

Please review Alliant’s academic calendar for term start dates.

Graduate Admission Requirements

  • Alliant International University application
  • Interview with the program director or faculty (interviews may be completed face-to-face or via phone or Internet)
  • Two letters of recommendation (from supervisors, academic instructors, volunteer coordinators or other professional and/or academic relationships)
  • Resume (required only for all doctorate and all educational psychology programs)
  • Personal essay
    • 2-4 pages for master’s and teaching credential candidates
    • 4-5 pages for doctoral candidates
    • Essay should include the following: a brief autobiographical statement; professional aspirations; any professional organizations to which you belong; honors, activities, and other accomplishments; any experience in the field to which you are applying, which may include any experience in K-12 settings or higher education, teaching, or working with children and adolescents.
  • Official transcript(s) from all regionally-accredited colleges and universities attended (degrees in progress are acceptable) with a minimum cumulative GPA of:
  • 2.5 (undergraduate) for master’s and credential programs (except for MAE in School Psychology program)
  • 3.0 (graduate) for doctoral programs and all School Psychology programs
  • California Basic Educational Skills Test™ (CBEST®) (required for preliminary teacher credentialing, school counseling and school psychology programs)
  • $65 application fee (not required for the Accelerated Autism Spectrum Disorders Authorization Weekend Workshop program)

Additional Graduate Admission Requirements

  • Additional Requirements for International Students
  • Additional Requirements for Preliminary Teacher Credentialing Programs
    In addition to general admission requirements, Preliminary Teacher Credentialing candidates must comply with several additional requirements mandated by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) before beginning any student or intern teaching assignment. These requirements are meant to both guarantee your own success in the classroom and students’ safety. Please note that these are not requirements for admission and entry into our preliminary teaching credential programs, nor for completing classroom observations (with the exception of the Certificate of Clearance) – only to participate in the intern or student teaching portions of those programs. Please reference our teacher credentialing pages:
  • Preliminary Teacher Credentialing Program (Single or Multiple Subject) – Student Teaching
  • Preliminary Teacher Credentialing Program (Single or Multiple Subject) – Standard Intern Teaching
  • Preliminary Teacher Credentialing Program (Single or Multiple Subject) – Early Completion Option (ECO) Intern Teaching
  • Preliminary Education Specialist Teacher Credentialing Program (Mild-Moderate Disabilities)
  • California Teachers of English Learners (CTEL).All applicants recommended for a Cross-cultural, Language, and Academic Development Certificate (CLAD)/CTEL must meet the following requirements:
  • Credential: Applicants must possess a valid California teaching credential; Clinical Rehabilitative Services Credential with a Special Class Authorization, School Nurse Services Credential with a Special Teaching Authorization in Health; Children’s Center Permit (excluding emergency); or Child Development Permit (excluding Assistant and Associate Permit) that authorizes the holder to provide instruction to pupils in preschool, grades K–12, or classes primarily organized for adults. The California Basic Skills requirement must be met in order for the CLAD/CTEL certificate to be issued.The following, however, are not acceptable prerequisite credentials or permits:
    a) Emergency credentials or permit, Short-Term Staff Permits;
    b) Exchange credentials as specified in Education Code Section 44333;
    c) District intern certificates as specified in Education Code Section 44325;
    d) Sojourn certificated employee credentials as specified in Education Code Section 44856; and
    e) Teacher education internship credentials as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Education Code Section 44450) of Chapter 32.
  • Degrees: Applicants must possess at least a bachelor’s degree or higher from an institution of higher education that is regionally accredited in the U.S. (or its international equivalent).
  • Undergraduate GPA: Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher in their bachelor degree work. Applicants who do not meet the undergraduate GPA requirement but who have had academic and professional success may petition for an academic exception and show evidence of professional and/or academic growth subsequent to their bachelor’s degree.
  • Recommendations: Applicants who are not practicing California credentialed teachers or administrators must provide two written confidential recommendations from those who can attest to the applicant’s abilities, interests, and proven accomplishments in education.
  • Transcripts: Official transcripts of the bachelor’s degree from all accredited institutions of higher education that the applicant has attended must be submitted. When official transcripts are not immediately available, candidates may supply unofficial documents and be admitted on a conditional basis pending receipt of official transcript. The credential will not be processed without receipt of official transcript.

Transfer Credit

Please note that the following applies only to graduate admissions. 

Transfer of credit from regionally accredited institutions may be awarded on the following basis:

  • A maximum transfer of:
    • Master’s candidates: 6 units beyond the bachelor’s degree. Candidates for the master’s in school psychology with PPS credential may transfer up to 9 units.
    • Doctoral candidates: 24 units beyond the master’s degree. Credit used to complete a second master’s degree may be considered.All transfer credits must be approved by the program’s director
  • Credits were earned within seven years of the transfer request. Waivers of this requirement may be considered on a case-by-base basis.
  • Extension and continuing education courses are typically not acceptable for graduate transfer. Exceptions may apply for courses completed at high levels through an accredited university or local district program for partial credit transfer.
  • Transfer courses must be equivalent to Alliant coursework for which it is being applied. Students are required to submit transcripts, catalog course descriptions and other documentation.
  • All coursework must be completed successfully with a B grade or higher.

Final Admissions Decision

Upon receipt and review of all documentation and completion of the interview, candidates will be considered for final admission. Final admissions decision will be made by the admissions committee. You may track the status of your application online using the same username and password you set when submitting your online application.

Get Started on Your Future