Rice University (TX): Clinical Counselor
Job Title: Clinical Counselor
Rice Counseling Center
Open Until Filled
Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.
The Clinical Counselor will provide individual, group and couples counseling and psychotherapy, crisis intervention, outreach programming for Rice students, and consultations on psychological issues for faculty, staff, students and student family members. The Clinical Counselor will also supervise practicum students, as needed.
Clinical or counseling psychology, counseling or social work.
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.
Experience providing psychotherapy and/or counseling to a culturally diverse young adult population (includes experience gained in internships and/or other related pre-master’s or pre-doctoral experience).
May substitute a PhD in a related field for up to two years of the required experience.
Must be eligible for Texas license in psychology, professional counseling, or social work.
Other Skills Required
– Multicultural competence.
– Excellent interpersonal skills and judgment.
– Ability to work flexible hours.
– Specialty in group psychotherapy.
– Outreach specialist.
– Trauma interest, experience and skills, especially childhood sexual abuse and rape trauma.
– Training and experience with PTSD, and or Dialectical Behavior therapy.
– Background in providing therapeutic and outreach services to Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered individuals.
LCSW, LMSW or higher.
Other Skills Preferred
-Knowledge of the Chinese culture and language, including familiarity and/or fluency in Mandarin.
(e.g. Weekend/evening work, travel, inclement weather, hazards)
Must be willing to work flexible hours as s/he may have to work on weekends due to campus or individual student crises. May be required to work evening hours. Will be required to share “On call” duty with other staff.
Salary Commensurate with Experience and Qualifications
Job Posting Category
Eligible for Overtime
Monday through Friday, 30 hours a week for 10 months; evening hours or weekend work may be required.
Eligible for Shift Differential
Not Shift Differential Eligible
Special Instructions to Applicants
Quicklink for Posting
Provide individual, group, and couples counseling and psychotherapy and crisis intervention.
– Employee may be assigned or required to perform additional duties to the benefit of the department or University.
– Assist in creating and maintaining relationships with third party organizations, including hospitals, psychiatrist and other relevant contacts.
– Perform outreach programming for Rice students and consultations on psychological issues for faculty, staff and students.