Health Promotion Specialist – California
The Health Promotion Specialist works within a multidisciplinary team in the planning and implementation of behavioral interventions and public health strategies targeting communities living with and/or at risk for chronic illness, substance use, behavioral health issues, marginally housed/homeless, and those who experience multiple barriers to access primary medical care and other health and social services.
Community and Group Level Intervention Planning and Implementation
- Develop A&PI Wellness Center’s relationship with local community based organizations, social venues, shelters, housing, and appropriate sub-groups, as to reach undiscovered subgroups of Asian & Pacific Islander (A&PI) men who have sex with men (MSM) living with HIV/AIDS, and very high risk HIV-negative (VHRN) A&PI MSM.
- Develop A&PI Wellness Center’s relationships with local community based organizations, social venues, shelters, housing, massage parlors, businesses, and appropriate sub-groups, as to reach and screen undiscovered subgroups of A&PI immigrant communities living with undiagnosed Viral Hepatitis B
- Coordinate a virtual, venue based, and event based community outreach, recruitment, and health services linkage program in collaboration with partnering agencies and social venues to improve successful access of primary medical care and behavioral health services
- Develop and implement a peer leadership program, overseeing multiple volunteer peer leaders to assist in outreach, recruitment, and program implementation
- Lead the design, adaptation, monitoring, and implementation of both single session and multi-session HIV behavioral interventions for VHRN A&PI MSM
- Other community and group level intervention planning and implementation duties as assigned
Individual Level Intervention Planning and Implementation
- Identify and recruit VHRN A&PI MSM to participate in multi-session individual risk reduction education sessions
- Conduct individual risk reduction education sessions within the clinic or out in the field
- Act as a navigator for health service referrals and linkages based on the needs of the client
- Provide HIV Testing and Counseling for Mobile HIV testing clinic located at bars, clubs, and community festivals
- Assist multidisciplinary team in a linkage to HIV care services, navigation, and support services case management for clients who test HIV positive
- Other individual level intervention planning and implementation duties as assigned.
- Complete monthly reports in a timely manner, including; Program Update reports after each workshop, individual client education progress notes, and Monthly reports on group level and individual level interventions
- Work in part of a team in developing and implementing process and outcome evaluations of to measure program efficacy.
- Supervision of peer leaders who assist in program implementation
- Attend and actively engage in weekly department meetings and various coordinating team meetings with partnering agencies.
- Fluency in either Cantonese or Vietnamese
- BA/BS in relevant discipline or equivalent qualifying experience and education
- At least two years experience in community service programs, especially with A&PI MSM communities
- At least one year experience in curriculum development and teaching in community based settings
- At least two years experience providing individual client level advocacy, counseling, referrals and linkage to social services
- Comfortable discussing issues of sex, HIV/AIDS, as well as sexual, gender, and ethnic identities with youth and adult men in various stages of development
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Experience with CDC Evidence Based Interventions, especially Mpowerment, 3MV, or POL.
- CA State Certified HIV Testing Counselor
- Bilingual in Asian and/or Pacific Islander language
- Experience with PC software: MS Office, FileMaker Pro, Access, etc.
- Reliable means of transportation.
No emails or phone calls will be accepted.
In your cover letter please describe what drives you to achieve your goals and tell us what a critical educator means to you.
Please include both your cover letter and resume as a single document when prompted to insert your resume in the database.
We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package which includes: medical, dental and vision insurance, generous vacation, sick leave and holidays, one-month sabbatical, 403(b) with employer match, flexible work schedule, flex spending account, life insurance, long-term disability, professional development opportunities and more! (Benefits guidelines and eligibility vary based on tenure, employment status and FTE, among other factors.)
Asian & Pacific Islander Wellness Center is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. Asian & Pacific Islander Wellness Center does not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability status, gender identity, HIV status, marital status, medical condition, national origin, genetic information, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.