Health care informatics is an emerging cross-disciplinary field that focuses on the use of data and information to inform health care treatments and public health research. Health care informatics uses electronic health records (EHR), health information exchanges (HIE) data tracked by wearable devices, and other health data in order to:
- Identify opportunities for reducing health care costs
- Help clinicians improve diagnostic processes and treatment protocols through data-derived insights
- Help develop more individualized treatment plans for patients
- Identify opportunities for improving health care practices and procedures
- Improve the security, portability, and confidentiality of patient health records
Health care informatics is growing rapidly—over the three-year period between 2009 and 2013, the global health informatics market grew from $973 million to $6.5 billion—an increase of nearly 600%. This incredibly fast growth rate has been catalyzed by advances in technology and by new health care legislation that includes requirements for increased digitization and portability of health care records.
Demand in this field is intense—and often hard to satisfy, as many professionals lack the combination of skills and technical knowledge necessary to implement and manage health informatics systems. If your professional interests lie at the intersection of healthcare and technology, earn your MBA with a concentration in Health Care Informatics online with the California School of Management & Leadership.
As a graduate of this program, you will bring advanced leadership and managerial skills to market along with industry-specific understanding of health care informatics theory and practice. Your skills can translate to data analysis and informatics management roles in:
- Hospitals, clinics, and residential care facilities
- Health research organizations
- Insurance companies
- Health equipment manufacturers
Course Topics – Health Care Informatics
The concentration in health care informatics includes four specialized courses that extend the knowledge you gain during the core MBA courses. These classes are taught by faculty with direct industry experience.
- Health Care Information Technology, Knowledge Managements Systems and Analytics
- Health Care Informatics
- Health Care Information Exchange Standards, Models, Methods
- Health Care Decision Support Systems
Prepare for a future without limits with the California School of Management & Leadership Online MBA. Find out more about our admissions requirements, or begin your application today.
Alliant is a private university accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC).