Online Master of Arts in Education – Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
Prepare to teach English at home or abroad with a leading TESOL program – now online.
More than 1.5 billion people around the world are learning English. The Hufstedler School of Education at Alliant International University has been helping to meet demand, producing thousands of exceptional English language teachers through its TESOL programs. Now, we have removed the location barrier: our innovative Master of Arts in Education – Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) is now available entirely online.
No matter where you live, you can earn a master’s degree that prepares you for exciting new career opportunities in as little as 15 months. After graduating from Alliant, you can:
- Teach ESL/EFL in private elementary and secondary schools, higher education, or continuing education*
- Teach English for Specific Purposes (ESP) in business, academic, and healthcare organizations
- Train other EFL teachers
- Work on the production of EFL textbooks and other learning materials
- Work in government agencies or other institutions on TESOL-related policy or administrative issues
- Move on to doctoral studies in TESOL, including the Ed.D. in TESOL at Alliant
Small class sizes and interactive learning experiences initiate you into Alliant’s international community of scholars, helping you develop close working relationships with professors and classmates. Flexible class schedules and archived discussions accommodate your work and family commitments, giving you control over when and where you study.
Most importantly, our learning experiences challenge you to put theory into practice, so you can develop the capabilities and confidence you need to make your mark as a TESOL professional.
An Online Master’s Designed and Taught by Proven TESOL Experts
At Alliant, you will learn from leading experts in the field of English language education. Their insights and mentorship will enrich your educational experience immeasurably. Some of our featured faculty members include:
- Mary Ellen Butler-Pascoe, Ed.D. – Dr. Butler-Pascoe joined Alliant’s TESOL community in 1978, and has been the Executive Systemwide Director of TESOL and Language Education since 2003. She directs and shapes our degree and certificate programs in TESOL and CTEL. Her past EFL teaching experience includes work in Ethiopia, Ghana, and Mexico.
- Ken Kelch, Ed.D. – Dr. Kelch is currently the Southern California Coordinator and Director of our CTEL program and Director of the International Language Education and Cultural Center, with over thirty years of EFL teaching experience in corporate and academic settings.
- Shirley Baker, M.A., M.S. – Professor Baker is currently the director of the International Language Education and Culture Center (ILEC) at Alliant. Recently, she has worked as a Fulbright Senior Specialist in Laos and Indonesia. She has also helped establish English training programs and train ESL teachers in Turkey, Russia, Japan, and Korea.
What You Will Learn
The online master’s in TESOL is a 30-unit, ten-course program in which you take six core courses and four electives.
Over the course of the degree, you will:
- Develop a knowledge base in linguistics, focusing on the structure of the English language and its use and functions within society.
- Apply theories of linguistics and second language acquisition to curriculum design, lesson plan development, and practical instruction.
- Employ technology to enhance second language instructional environments.
- Plan lessons and units within standards-based ESL/EFL content-based instructional rubrics.
- Establish a repertoire of assessment tools for monitoring and assessing your students’ progress.
- Be able to evaluate professional literature critically through an understanding of research methods.
- Pursue self-directed professional development after you are established in the field.
- Understand the history of TESOL education and the historical, social, cultural, and political contexts of your teaching situations.
To complete the program, you will undertake an applied research project or practicum that demonstrates your mastery of key concepts across the curriculum.
The TESOL master's program features a core of six courses. Topics include:
- Development of Cross-Cultural Competencies
- Theory and Method of Second Language Teaching
- Principles of Linguistics
- Technology and Teaching English Learners
- Research Methods and Seminar
- TESOL Practicum/Project
You will also take four electives, chosen from the topics below:
- Techniques of Teaching Reading and Writing to Second Language Learners
- Techniques of Teaching Listening and Speaking to Second Language Learners
- Introduction to Psycholinguistics and Sociolinguistics
- English Grammar for ESL and EFL Teachers
- Curriculum Design and Assessment
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)
- Topics in TESOL Research and Pedagogy
Admissions Qualifications and Application Requirements
Applicants to the Master of Arts in Education – TESOL program may come from any undergraduate study background. There is no GRE requirement.** We will consider applicants with the following qualifications:
- Degrees: Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited US institution of higher education, or its international equivalent. Applicants must have achieved a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.5. Applicants whose GPA does not meet this standard may complete and obtain approval of a GPA exemption petition.
- Transcripts: The applicant must submit official transcripts from all institutions that issued a degree.
- Recommendations: Applicants must provide two letters of recommendation from individuals with a supervisory professional or academic relationship to the applicant, speaking to their experience and skills and their suitability for graduate study.
- Personal Statement and Resume: Applicants must provide a current resume plus a two- to four-page personal essay detailing their professional accomplishments, career aspirations, and any relevant experience working with English language learners.
- Application and Fee: Applicants must complete our admissions application and pay the $65 application fee.
- International Students: Students from outside the U.S. will need to provide additional documentation to complete the application process. Please click here to read more about applying as an international student.
Earn Your TESOL Master’s - Online
Contact Alliant International University today to learn more about our online Master of Arts in TESOL.
*Please note that this degree program does not result in a California teaching credential.
**A language co-requisite may apply for applicants whose first language is not English.
Alliant is a private university accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC).