Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Graduate Degree Program | Master of Arts in Education | San Diego, California and Online/Hybrid Learning Options
A GRADUATE DEGREE IN TESOL IS YOUR MASTER-CLASS TICKET TO THE WORLD
English as a Second Language (ESL) and English as a Foreign Language (EFL) educators are in worldwide demand. With a master's degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), you'll have the key that unlocks doors in the United States and abroad.
Alliant's TESOL graduate program in California puts theory and practice into play for maximum impact in the learning environment. Our TESOL degree program blends the perfect balance of TESOL methodology, linguistics and education curriculum for both experienced and prospective ESL and EFL educators.
STUDY FULL-TIME IN SAN DIEGO OR COMPLETE YOUR MASTER'S IN TESOL ONLINE WITH LOW RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT
To best serve professionals of all types and locations, Alliant offers a fully on-site TESOL master's program in San Diego, California, as well as a hybrid TESOL graduate program that combines online coursework with two weekend residencies in San Diego. The first weekend residency is held the first weekend of the program's start, and the second weekend occurs at the end of the program.
TESOL CAREERS THAT SPAN A WORLD OF OPPORTUNITY
Our TESOL graduates enjoy successful careers educating the next generation of English language learners at all levels, and in locations near and far. Whether teaching students or training teachers, you'll have access to opportunities such as:
- Teching ESL/EFL in colleges and universities
- Teaching English for Specific Purposes (ESP) in academic, business, healthcare and science and technology organizations
- Training EFL teachers in your country and abroad
- Teaching ESL/EFL in private schools
- Enhancing elementary and secondary teaching with EFL skills
- Serving as an administrator or policymaker in government agencies and other institutions
- Developing and writing EFL textbooks, learning materials and other publications
- Earning a doctorage degree in TESOL at universities worldwide, including Alliant
- And much much more
Please note that this program does not result in a California teaching credential
to teach in K-12 schools.
MASTER'S IN TESOL PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
- 30 units (10 courses)
- Full program completion in as soon as 15 months
- Trimester format with Fall, Spring and Summer courses
- Convenient evening or online courses for working professionals
- Applied, hands-on learning opportunities
- Highly-qualified and experienced faculty
- Low student-to-faculty ratio
- International student community
- No GRE requirement
- No prerequisites - any undergraduate major is welcome to apply (a language co-requisite may apply for applicants whose first language is not English)
- On-site location: San Diego, California
- Hybrid format available with low residency (two weekends) in San Diego, California
- Fall, Spring and Summer terms (review application deadlines and our rolling admissions policy on our admissions page)
- Application - Apply now online
- Two letters of recommendation from supervisors, academic instructors, volunteer coordinators or other professional and/or academic relationships
- 2-4 page personal essay including autobiographical statement, professional aspirations, accomplishments and any relevant experience
- Official undergraduate transcripts from a regionally-accredited university (degrees in progress are acceptable) with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (GPA exemptions may be granted)
- $65 application fee
- International students: Please review Alliant's additional admission requirements for international applicants. A Graduate English Communications co-requisite course may apply for applicants whose native language is not English.
EARN YOUR MASTER'S DEGREE IN TESOL FROM AN ACCREDITED UNIVERSITY
Alliant International University is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
- Apply Now Online
- Attend an Information Session or Open Campus Day
- Student Learning Outcomes
- TESOL Curriculum and Course Descriptions
- TESOL Program Faculty
- Tuition and Fees