Student Teaching Option - California Teaching Credential Programs
Earn Your California Teaching Credential as a K-12 Student Teacher
Alliant's Student Teaching path allows aspiring teachers to earn a K-12 California Preliminary Single Subject or Multiple Subject Teaching Credential through a cohort-model blending online coursework, expert mentoring, and supervised instructional experiences within a classroom. Through the Student Teaching Option, you will gain a deeper understanding of pedagogy and best practices in education, and then you will put that knowledge to use as a student teacher under the guidance of an experienced Master Teacher and the supportive coaching of an Alliant field supervisor.
Alliant has prepared hundreds of California teachers for an effective, rewarding and enduring career as a teacher serving the state's diverse student populations and communities. Let us help you to become the next.
Under the Student Teaching Option, students participate in an unpaid student teaching experience while simultaneously taking online courses to earn their California teacher credential. Upon the program's completion, you will be fully prepared to obtain a preliminary California teaching credential and lead your own K-12 classroom.
The Student Teaching Option is delivered over a series of seven terms, which includes:
- 1 term of practicum
- 45 hours of classroom observation at an assigned school site
- 16 weeks of student teaching under the guidance of a Master Teacher
Through the Student Teaching Option, students will gain experience in at least two grade levels while assuming total teaching responsibility for at least two full weeks during each student teaching placement. During their placement, students receive expert mentorship and support through a minimum of eight classroom observations and coaching sessions conducted by a designated Alliant field supervisor.
The Student Teaching Option is available to students in the Irvine, Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco Bay areas.
Admissions and Application Requirements
When to Apply
Admission is granted every 8 weeks on a rolling admissions basis. Qualified applicants will continue to be accepted up until a term's start date provided that space remains available.
We encourage prospective students to apply as early as possible to achieve the following: secure program position and desired start date; make sure all required testing may be completed in time; and receive full consideration for all possible scholarships and financial aid opportunities.
- Application - Apply now online
- Admissions interview with program director
- Two letters of recommendation from supervisors, academic instructors, volunteer coordinators or other professional and/or academic relationships
- 2-4 page personal essay including autobiographical statement, professional aspirations, accomplishments and any relevant experience in teaching or working with children and adolescents, and/or within K-12 schools
- Official undergraduate transcripts from a regionally-accredited university (degrees in progress are acceptable) with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (GPA exemptions may be granted)
- California Basic Educational Skills Test™ (CBEST®)
- $65 application fee
- International students: Please review Alliant's additional admission requirements for international applicants
Student Teaching Requirements
In addition to the Hufstedler School of Education's general admission requirements, student teaching credential candidates must comply with several additional requirements mandated by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) before beginning any student teaching placement. These requirements are meant to both guarantee your own success in the classroom and students' safety.
Please note that these are not admission requirements for entry into the preliminary teaching credential program - only to participate in the student teaching portion of the program. Alliant staff will help guide you through meeting these requirements, which include:
- Completion of 14 units of teacher education coursework, at least 8 units of which must have been completed in residence at Alliant
- GPA of 3.0 or better in teacher education coursework
- Statement of Release for Student Teaching
- Negative TB test completed within two years of placement date
- CCTC Certificate of Clearance
- Affidavit for Certificate of Clearance
- Student Teaching Placement Form
- Recommendation by the program director
- For Multiple Subject candidates only: Verification of passing the California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET) for Multiple Subjects (all sub-tests).
- For Single Subject candidates only: Verification of passing the subject-matter-appropriate California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET) or obtain a Single Subject matter equivalency letter from a CCTC-approved California University in their appropriate subject area.