California Preliminary Teaching Credential Standard Intern Teaching Path | San Francisco Bay Area and Los Angeles, California
EARN A SALARY WHILE EARNING YOUR TEACHING CREDENTIAL
Alliant's Intern Teaching - Standard option allows you to immerse yourself in the classroom as a paid teacher-of-record while pursuing your K-12 California Preliminary Teaching Credential (Single Subject or Multiple Subject).
In addition to your salaried Intern Teaching position at an Alliant-approved site, you will also engage in online coursework, on-ground seminars and professional mentoring from an experienced Alliant field supervisor. The choice is yours whether you wish to complete your pedagogy coursework before securing an intern teaching position, or complete both simultaneously.
We've prepared hundreds of California educators for an effective, rewarding and enduring career as a teacher serving California's diverse student population and communities. Let us help you to become the next.
- Program available in Los Angeles and San Francisco Bay Areas
- 28 total units (credential only)
- 40 total units with optional online Master of Arts in Education with Teaching Emphasis
- Completion in one to two years depending upon full- or part-time study
- Enter and progress through the program with a cohort of other student teachers
- Coursework, e-journals and other assignments are completed online
- Attend required seminars held 10 weekday evenings and two Saturdays per semester
- Complete coursework, e-journals and other assignments online
- Complete two semesters (18 weeks each) as a full-time, paid teacher-of-record at an
Alliant-approved school site
- Receive mentorship and support through a minimum of four classroom observations and coaching sessions each semester conducted by your designated Alliant field supervisor
- Please note: Candidates are responsible for finding and securing an approved Intern Teaching position
WHEN TO APPLY
Admission is granted each Fall, Spring and Summer semester on a rolling admissions basis. Qualified applicants will continue to be accepted up until a semester's start date provided that space remains available.
However, we do encourage prospective students to apply as early as possible to achieve the following: secure program position and desired start date; make sure all required testing may be completed in time; and receive full consideration for all possible scholarships and financial aid opportunities.
|Term||Priority Deadline||Rolling Admissions Deadline/Term Start
||December 2||January 27|
|Summer 2014||May 1||June 9|
|Fall 2014||July 1||September 2|
PLEASE NOTE: Intern teaching candidates with teaching position offers may need to apply earlier than these dates to complete the requisite 160-hour pre-service course and any necessary CSET testing. Please contact an admissions representative for details.
- Application - Apply now online
- Admissions interview with program director
- Two letters of recommendation from supervisors, academic instructors, volunteer coordinators or other professional and/or academic relationships
- 2-4 page personal essay including autobiographical statement, professional aspirations, accomplishments and any relevant experience in teaching or working with children and adolescents, and/or within K-12 schools
- Official undergraduate transcripts from a regionally-accredited university (degrees in progress are acceptable) with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (GPA exemptions may be granted)
- California Basic Educational Skills Test™ (CBEST®)
- $65 application fee
- International students: Please review Alliant's additional admission requirements for international applicants
INTERN TEACHING REQUIREMENTS
In addition to the Hufstedler School of Education's general admission requirements, intern teaching credential candidates must comply with several additional requirements mandated by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) before beginning any intern teaching assignment. These requirements are meant to both guarantee your own success in the classroom and students' safety.
Please note that these are not admission requirements for entry into the preliminary teaching credential program - only to participate in the intern teaching portion of the program. Alliant staff will help guide you through meeting these requirements, which include:
- CCTC credential application (41-4 form)
- Receipt of Livescan Fingerprinting and Background Clearance
- US Constitution competency
- Offer of Employment letter
- Signed Statement of Release form
- 160 hours of pre-service fulfilled through either Alliant’s 6-week online pre-service course offered during the summer and winter, or prior teaching experience verified by district
- Verification of passing the CBEST (California Basic Educational Skills Test)
- For Multiple Subject candidates only: Verification of passing the CSET (California Subject Examination for Teachers) for Multiple Subjects (all sub-tests) prior to beginning intern teaching placement, and/or obtain a subject matter equivalency letter from a CCTC-approved California University
- For Single Subject candidates only: Verification of passing the subject-matter-approprate California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET) or obtain a Single Subject matter equivalency letter from a CCTC-approved California University in their appropriate subject area (for the Preliminary Single Subject Credential only) prior to beginning intern teaching placement
CHOOSE AN ACCREDITED UNIVERSITY AND A CCTC-APPROVED PROGRAM
The Hufstedler School of Education’s program is approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). Alliant International University is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).