Standard Intern Teaching Option - California Teaching Credential Programs
Earn a Salary While Earning Your Teaching Credential
Alliant's Standard Intern Teaching option allows current classroom teachers the ability to continue working as a paid teacher-of-record while pursuing your Preliminary K-12 California Teaching Credential (Single Subject, Multiple Subject or Education Specialist).
In addition to your salaried intern teaching position, you will also engage in online coursework and professional mentoring from an experienced Alliant field supervisor. The choice is yours whether you wish to complete your pedagogy coursework before securing an intern teaching credential, or complete both simultaneously.
We've prepared hundreds of California teachers for an effective, rewarding and enduring career as a teacher serving California's diverse student population and communities. Let us help you to become the next.
The Standard Intern Teaching Option is an alternative teacher certification program, approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). This teacher preparation program provides students the necessary coursework and instruction that allows them to work toward their preliminary California teaching credential, all while working as a salaried teacher. All coursework and assignments are completed online.
Under the Standard Intern Option, students assume immediate and full teaching and classroom management responsibilities. While working under the internship credential, students receive expert mentorship and support through a minimum of three classroom observations and coaching sessions conducted by a designated Alliant field supervisor each term.
Please note: Candidates are responsible for finding and securing an approved intern teaching position; private schools are not state-eligible to host intern teachers.
The Standard Intern Teaching Option is available to students in the Irvine, Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco Bay areas.
Admissions and Application Requirements
When to Apply
Admission is granted every 8 weeks. We offer rolling admissions.
We encourage all prospective students to apply as early as possible to achieve the following: secure program position and desired start date; make sure all required testing may be completed in time; and receive full consideration for all possible scholarships and financial aid opportunities.
- Application - Apply now online
- Admissions interview with program director
- Two letters of recommendation from supervisors, academic instructors, volunteer coordinators or other professional and/or academic relationships
- 2-4 page personal essay including autobiographical statement, professional aspirations, accomplishments and any relevant experience in teaching or working with children and adolescents, and/or within K-12 schools
- Official undergraduate transcripts from a regionally-accredited university (degrees in progress are acceptable) with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (GPA exemptions may be granted)
- California Basic Educational Skills Test™ (CBEST®)
- $65 application fee
- International students: Please review Alliant's additional admission requirements for international applicants
Intern Teaching Requirements
In addition to the Hufstedler School of Education's general admission requirements, intern teaching credential candidates must comply with several additional requirements mandated by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) before beginning any intern teaching position. These requirements are meant to both guarantee your own success in the classroom and students' safety.
Please note that these are not admission requirements for entry into the preliminary teaching credential program - only to participate in the intern teaching portion of the program. Alliant staff will help guide you through meeting these requirements, which include:
- CCTC credential application (41-4 form)
- CCTC Certificate of Clearance
- US Constitution competency
- Offer of Employment letter
- Signed Statement of Release form
- 160 hours of pre-service fulfilled through Alliant's 6-week, online course offered
immediately prior to each Fall and Spring term. You do not need to apply to or enroll
in Alliant's credentialing programs to complete our pre-service course.
- Verification of passing the CBEST (California Basic Educational Skills Test)
- For Multiple Subject candidates only: Verification of passing the California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET) for Multiple Subjects (all sub-tests) prior to beginning teaching internship.
- For Single Subject candidates only: Verification of passing the subject-matter-appropriate California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET) or obtain a Single Subject matter equivalency letter from a CCTC-approved California University in their appropriate subject area prior to beginning teaching internship.