Intern Teaching - Standard: Master's in Teaching with Preliminary California Teaching Credential
EARN A SALARY WHILE EARNING YOUR TEACHING CREDENTIAL
Alliant's Intern Teaching - Standard option allows you to immerse yourself in the classroom as a paid teacher-of-record while also pursuing both your Master of Arts in Education in Teaching and a K-12 California Preliminary Teaching Credential (Single or Multiple Subject).
In addition to your salaried Intern Teaching position at an Alliant-approved site, you will also engage in online coursework, on-ground seminars and professional mentoring from an experienced Alliant field supervisor. The choice is yours whether you wish to complete your pedagogy coursework before securing an intern teaching position, or pursue both simultaneously.
We've prepared hundreds of California educators for an effective, rewarding and enduring career as a teacher serving California's diverse student population and communities. Let us help you to become the next.
INTERN TEACHING - STANDARD AT A GLANCE
- Available for Preliminary Single or Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- Includes Master of Arts in Education in Teaching
- 40 units (inclusive of master's and credential)
- Full- or part-time study options available
- Hybrid program with both online courses and on-ground, monthly evening seminars
- Two semesters of capstone seminars meeting 10 weekday evenings and two Saturdays each semester
- Two semesters (each 18 weeks) as a paid teacher-of-record at an Alliant-approved school site with a field supervisor
- Minimum of 4 classroom observations and mentoring conferences with an Alliant field supervisor each semester
Note: Students are responsible for finding and securing an approved Intern Teaching position.
INTERN TEACHING REQUIREMENTS
In addition to the Hufstedler School of Education's general admission requirements, intern teaching credential candidates must comply with several additional requirements mandated by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) before beginning any intern teaching assignment. These requirements are meant to both guarantee your own success in the classroom and students' safety.
Please note that these are not requirements for entry into the preliminary teaching credential program - only to participate in the intern teaching portion of the program. Alliant staff will help guide you through meeting these requirements, which include:
- CCTC credential application (41-4 form)
- Receipt of Livescan Fingerprinting and Background Clearance
- US Constitution competency
- Offer of Employment letter
- Signed Statement of Release form
- 120 hours of pre-service fulfilled through either Alliant’s 6-week online pre-service course offered during the summer and winter, or prior teaching experience verified by district
- Verification of passing the CBEST (California Basic Educational Skills Test)
- For Multiple Subject candidates only: Verification of passing the CSET (California Subject Examination for Teachers) for Multiple Subjects (all sub-tests) prior to beginning intern teaching placement, and/or obtain a subject matter equivalency letter from a CCTC-approved California University
- For Single Subject candidates only: Verification of passing the subject-matter-approprate California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET) or obtain a Single Subject matter equivalency letter from a CCTC-approved California University in their appropriate subject area (for the Preliminary Single Subject Credential only) prior to beginning intern teaching placement
CHOOSE AN ACCREDITED UNIVERSITY AND A CTC-APPROVED PROGRAM
The Hufstedler School of Education’s program is approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). Alliant International University is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).