Our Students & Graduates
Students in our program enjoy a range of events and activities on the Fresno campus. Some recent events include:
- “Health Break” events: Yoga for Stress Reduction, Hula Hoop Fitness Class, Raw Food Discussion
- Culture themed events, with traditional food and entertainment: This year was a Bollywood dinner & Dancing event
- Surprise party for long-time faculty member, Dr. Manuel Figueroa
- Coming Soon: Clinical Symposium Brown Bag lunches,Alumni and friends of the program will present innovative clinical work emphasizing diverse theoretical orientations and applications of clinical psychology
CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY PHD FRESNO GRADUATES
Our graduates have successful careers because the broad-based curriculum trains students to think critically, assume many roles, solve problems in those roles, and create professional niches for themselves in a changing health care environment.
We are excited to note that our graduates are combining clinical practice (95%), research (63%), and teaching (55%) in their professional lives, and 70% have been in leadership or administrative positions with their agencies. This is very positive support for our scholar-practitioner model of training with its mix of clinical practice, research, and teaching.
Jonathan Preiss is one of this year’s recipients of the CSPP Dean’s Award of Excellence. The Dean’s Award is a special designation for CSPP graduate students who exhibit academic excellence as they progress in their programs.
Stefanie Lesser is the recipient of the Dr. Jeffrey W. Braunstein Memorial Scholarship, awarded annually to a CSPP student in the Fresno Clinical Psychology PhD program who has advanced to doctoral candidacy.
Katie Walker received a scholarship from the Fresno Women's Network, she was also selected to be honored with the Susan G. Melkonian Memorial Scholarship, a special scholarship given to one outstanding Fresno student.
Donica J Romeo PhD, who graduated from the Clinicial Psychology PhD program in 2012, Fresno campus, will be starting a post-doc fellowship at Rutgers University, New Brunswick campus in New Jersey. Donica's clinicial emphasis was in Health Psychology and she will be specializing in suicide prevention outreach and issues related to the LGBT community in her new position.
William Johnson PhD graduated from CSPP in Clinical Psychology in 2011 receiving a PhD Degree, after completing an internship at Edward Hines Jr. VA Hospital in the Chicagoland area, he secured a two year Postdoctoral Fellowship in Clinical Neuropsychology (Neurorehabilitation Track) at the Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix, AZ. Dr. Johnson is currently look forward to pursuing ABPP credentials within the specialty of Clinical Neuropsychology and possibly also within Rehabilitation Psychology.
Marcy Johnson PhD graduated from CSPP in Clinical Psychology in 2010. She currently works as a Clinical Psychologist at University of California San Francisco, Fresno, Alzheimer’s and Memory Center specializing in Neuropsychology and Geropsychology. She is honored by the patients she serves each day and marvels at the fortitude families have in caring for their loved ones with various types of dementia.
Marschall Schott PhD, graduated in 2009 and began working as a staff psychologist
with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. He began his career
at a women's prison and recently transferred to a men's facility.
Gary Hayes PhD, graduated with a PhD Degree in 1986. Dr. Hayes was one of the first Clinical Psychologists to gain admitting privileges at private psychiatric hospitals in the early 90s in Northern California. In the early 90s, Dr. Hayes' practice continued to expand in both Napa and Solano counties culminating in September 1996 with the starting of a state-wide company: Traditions Behavioral Health (TBH) which in the interim has grown to employ 150 psychiatrists with $25 million per year in annual revenue. Dr. Hayes, as the Founder, Owner and President of Traditions Behavioral Health has led the company in annual growth of an average of 40% per year in the last five years. Dr. Hayes is currently working with Alliant - CSPP Fresno on collaborations with Kaweah Delta Health Care in Visalia where UC Irvine commences physician training and residency in the fall of this year.
RECENT ACCOMPLISHMENTS BY FACULTY & STUDENTS
- Megan Pollock, Jennifer Harrison, Ashley Brimager, & Amy Mounoutoua won the Honorable Mention Poster Presentation for their poster “Number of Subtests Failed on the LANSE and LANSE-C as a Screen for Cognitive Deficit” at the Central California Research Symposium awards at Fresno State where there were 180 presenters and 22 recipients honored with awards.
- Jonathan Preiss, a third year student, created a format for an intellectual assessment lab for the programs, which has been (and will continue to be) very useful in future support and training of students on intellectual assessment.
- Dr. Kevin O’Connor, Samuel Montano & Tara Hawkins, both students in the program, will be presenting Therapist Sexual Orientation and Play Therapy Practice: Therapist Attitudes in 1994 vs. 2012 at the 29th Annual Association for Play Therapy Conference in Cleveland, Ohio in 2012
- Dr. O’Toole has worked with 14 students serving as co-authors on conference presentations alone in 2012