Click here to download a PDF version of the application requirements for the Art Therapy MFT program - (PDF), for easy printing and reference.
1. Online Graduate Application Form
2. Non-refundable $65 Application Fee
3. Official Transcripts
Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work are required. Transcripts must be submitted from each institution attended, even if transfer units appear on another document. If you attend(ed) an institution with pass/fail grades, please also include any accompanying narrative evaluations.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to see that all transcripts are submitted as a part of the application. It may be necessary to submit transcripts on which final grades have not yet been posted, in which case you should provide supplementary transcripts as soon as possible. If there is a delay in processing your official transcript request, you should submit unofficial photocopies of transcripts in the interim. Without a complete set of transcripts, your application will be considered incomplete.
International applicants and those who received bachelor’s degrees and/or master’s degrees from higher education institutions outside the United States are required to submit official transcript evaluations. See the Graduate Admissions Requirements for further instructions.
4. Grade Point Average Exemption Petition
Required only if GPA is below 3.0.
California School of Professional Psychology requires that applicants have an undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. If your undergraduate or graduate (if applicable) GPA is below 3.0, you must submit a petition requesting an exemption from this academic requirement. Please use the designated space in the online application to indicate which of the following options will constitute your GPA exemption petition:
- A brief statement discussing past special academic or personal circumstances explaining academic performance below 3.0
- Official copies of test scores (GRE) supporting academic ability (strongly recommended)
- A list of scholarly publications supporting past academic/intellectual achievement
If you choose to submit the statement or the supporting publication material, please do so in the GPA Exemption Petition field on the online application. If you choose to submit official test scores, please provide additional detail in the Test Scores section of the online application.
5. Resume/Curriculum Vita
Required for all applicants.
Submit a current resume or curriculum vita, which includes your experience relative to the field of clinical psychology, including volunteer work if applicable.
Required for all applicants.
Please respond in one comprehensive essay of 3-7 pages, typed and double-spaced, and include your name and the page number at the top of each page. Please include the following sections:
- Narrate your autobiographical history with emphasis on personal life experiences rather than education or occupational information.
- Describe your current personal, intellectual and professional interests and activities
- Explain your interest in the program and in the marriage and family therapy and art therapy professions.
- Describe the most meaningful art experience you have had.
- List, in chronological order, your background education in the arts, including a list of at least 18 academic hour credits of undergraduate studio art.
Required for all applicants.
Applicants must submit a portfolio of original artwork, demonstrating competence with art materials, as a part of the application. Applicants must bring the portfolio to the interview. A minimum of 10 art pieces is required. Original art is preferred, but printed photographs of artwork on glossy 8.5” x 11” paper will be accepted.
Applicants must attend an in-person interview with program faculty. International applicants and those residing outside the greater Los Angeles area may request a Skype interview in lieu of an in-person interview. The interview includes a review of personal academic, interpersonal and creative aptitudes, as well as a portfolio review. As part of the interview, applicants will be asked to write a 1-2 page question response.
9. Course Descriptions
Course descriptions are required in the following two instances:
Graduate Entry Requirement: If you are using courses to meet the graduate entry requirements for a program, you must submit course descriptions if the courses you are using to fulfill the required subjects are titled differently from program requirements. Appropriate documentation includes copies of course descriptions, outlines or syllabi. This information should be submitted with your application material.
Art Therapy MFT Graduate Entry Requirement: Prerequisite Coursework
Each student admitted to the Art Therapy MFT program shall successfully complete the following coursework requirements no later than twelve months after entering the program, and this may include coursework completed before admission to the program.
- A minimum of 18 semester units (or 27 quarter units) of study in studio art, to demonstrate proficiency and disciplined commitment in art making. This coursework should evidence a range of experience using a variety of art materials and processes. Once enrolled in the program, students will complete 3 units of studio art, which are a part of the program curriculum; these units may count towards the 18 required prerequisite units of studio art. Equivalency of non-academic studio art experience or art therapy based coursework may be considered and must be approved by the program.
- A minimum of 12 semester units (or 18 quarter units) of study in psychology, which must include developmental psychology and abnormal psychology.
Applicants should complete the prerequisites as soon as possible, because they support the application and interview process. In some cases, with approval from the program director, applicants may take some of the prerequisites after they have completed the admissions process and these must be completed within the first year of the program. All coursework used to fulfill graduate entry requirements must have been taken at fully accredited institutions.
Once enrolled in the program, students will complete 3 units of studio art, which are a part of the program curriculum; these units may count towards the 18 required prerequisite units of studio art. Equivalency of non-academic studio art experience or art therapy based coursework may be considered and must be approved by the program.
Alliant’s Continuing Education Division offers some of the psychology prerequisite courses in an online format. Contact your admissions counselor or the CE website for details.
Transfer Credit: If you are petitioning to receive transfer credit for previous graduate work, you must submit a detailed coursework portfolio along with your application, which includes course outlines, syllabi or letters from instructors describing specific course content for all relevant graduate courses completed. If coursework was taken at more than one institution, indicate the institution where each course was taken.
Applicants to CSPP graduate programs may be eligible to receive credit for previous graduate work, at the discretion of the program to which they are admitted. These credits must be completed with a grade of “B” or better from a regionally accredited institution within the past seven years. A maximum of 9 semester units of graduate coursework may be accepted for transfer into the Art Therapy MFT program. All applicants must meet the graduate level entry requirements for the program of application before they will be reviewed for transfer credit. Program-specific information about transfer credit eligibility may be obtained from the admissions office and is included in the university catalog.
8. Test Scores
Test scores are required in the following two instances. In these cases, please include this information in the Test Scores section of the online application.
- English Proficiency: Applicants whose native language is not English or who have not earned an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited U.S. higher education institution are required to submit test scores to show English proficiency. Please see the Alliant International University Graduate Admissions Requirements for further instructions. If you have a unique situation and can demonstrate English proficiency in a manner not outlined in one of these options, please contact your admissions counselor directly to request an exemption from this requirement.
- GPA Exemption Petition: Applicants may elect to submit GRE scores to support the GPA Exemption Petition.
Two recommendations are required for all applicants.
Recommendations should be from references familiar with your work, your academic abilities, or your potential for scholarship and professional accomplishment. If you have been out of school for several years, please feel free to submit recommendations from persons who are familiar with you on any level of professional involvement.
10. Additional Requirements for International Applicants
International applicants should review the additional requirements outlined in the Alliant International University Graduate Admissions Requirements.
Adobe Reader is required to view the PDF documents on this page. (Download Adobe Reader)