History of Alliant School of Management
A Distinguished Heritage: USIU
On July 1, 2001, United States International University (USIU) and Alliant University/CSPP were united to create a new university — Alliant International University. Here's a brief look at our legacy institution of United States International University and the evolution of Alliant School of Management.
1927: USIU began in 1927, as Balboa College of Law in San Diego
1952: The university that became USIU was founded in 1952 as California Western University. Sitting on 90 acres in the Point Loma area of San Diego, Cal Western was a liberal arts college that emphasized small classes taught by highly qualified faculty.
1965: In 1965, the University received a Federal land grant for a new campus in the Scripps Ranch area of San Diego.
1967: In 1967, the University's name was changed to United States International University (USIU) to reflect its expanded commitment to a global perspective.
During the 1970s, USIU became a center for humanistic psychology with faculty that included
- Carl Rogers
- Abraham Maslow
- Victor Frankl
- Igor Ansoff, a founder of the field of Strategic Management.
USIU had campuses throughout the United States and the world, including such places as London, Mexico City and Nairobi, Kenya – and the university offered bachelor's, master's and doctoral programs in business, education, psychology, international relations, performing and visual arts, and a number of other disciplines. USIU has a worldwide network of more than 20,000 alumni/alumnae who hold prominent positions in varied fields.
2000s: In 2001, USIU merged with the California School of Professional Psychology to become Alliant International University. The two institutions combined their track record in providing bachelors, masters and doctoral degrees, and ASM continues to provide excellent education programs to the San Diego and Mexico City communities.